Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: FTL - Faster than Light

Are you playing easy mode? If not, I'd suggest you do that. I think it's a better progression to try and win in easy mode a couple of times and then changing to normal mode.
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Bah, screw easy mode. FTL on Normal difficulty is still much easier than ADOM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Thanks, I did much better now with resource preservation.

By the last stand I had:
    1) 2 Mantis Golden Hand-to-Hand dudes on teleport
    2) Full energy
    3) 3xBurst Laser II (that's 9 shots)
    4) Fully-levelled cloak + shields
    5) 48% Evade
    6) 2 points of hull when I teleport to a repair station. Unfortunately Rebel Flagship (first stage) teleports to the same location at the same time cutting me repairs. I almost took out their rocket launchers with boarding crew (everything else I can resist with shields), but evade only 1 rocket out of 3 and die.

Pretty sure I could have won with full hull.
    Completed "No redshirts" and "Technophobia" at the same time I should probably try droids.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    FTL on Normal difficulty is still much easier than ADOM.
    Not so sure - I would think eleven thief even with all "scum fixes'' is way easier than slug cruiser B.

For the missile attacks you'll want cloaking (cloak as the missiles are approaching) or a defense drone I.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    For the missile attacks you'll want cloaking (cloak as the missiles are approaching) or a defense drone I.
    Yeah, I know, but I've used it previously, so it was on cooldown

Just finally unlocked Zoltan ship. Starting Glaive Beam is just godawful. Also, some really strange stuff when you unplug Zoltans and all energy management (even if you have free reactor energy) gets screwed.

I had some fun with Engi after getting the hang of drones. Also devised a pretty rad strategy which failed when I got carried away - get lucky and chance on normal Ion Gun I (preferrably two). Spend everything on shields and weapon systems and then attack solely weapon and life supply systems. It worked pretty to secure ships intact more or less throughout the game, but I got blown up in sector 5 because I didn't watch my ship

Also, how nice are 3 attack drones and Drone recovery augmentation? Should work with Ion weaponry as well, I think.

EDIT: And hotkeys, yes.

So many ways to go, if only I could actually win. Maybe I should use mouse instead of touchpad.

Oi, why did you guys not tell me that the boss
    ? Now I'm screwed, no hull, no missiles.

No one told me. My reaction was much similar.

Have fun in your next attempt!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yeah, had fun and my first victory with the Torus. Pretty difficult damn boss, lost 7 times versus him.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 08-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.

By the way, I've won some around a week or so.

Kestrel, only 6 guys, starting Burst Laser 2, another Burst Laser 1, Fire Beam, Beam Drone 1. Haven't used Missiles since I've sold starting Launcher in the second or so sector.

My first ever buy was Preignited Weapons and it makes battling so much more comfortable, it's scary. I also picked up 2 Scrap Recovery Aims (do they even stack?)

First stage with boss lasted like 20 minutes or so, becuase I only had 5 lasers and the boss had 4 shields, so I could only use Fire Beam every once in a while.
    Teleported and killed all weapons, then it went pretty easy.

The worst was second stage because of boss's boarding drones.
    Evasion of 50+ allowed me to skip some weapon surges without cloak.

All in all I've lost like 25 to 33% of my hull in all battles (from full hull) and winning was pretty reliable.

Also reminder to self: should be careful with Fire Beam and teleporting my crew in the future.