Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: FTL - Faster than Light

Ok. Can one simply install the game on another platform without another license and just copy the savefile across?

FTL has no DRM whatsoever. Go nuts.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Sell the hull beam; the Burst Laser II does a more than adequate job wasting the enemy ship once the shields are down, charges faster, and you can never have enough concentrated targeted system damage.
    I would have advised keeping the hull beam. It is beautifully effective against the flagship as it has several empty rooms, letting you finish each round extremely quickly. With an ion bomb + ion burst II there's no need for extra systems targeting. Plus beams always hit as long as the shields are down (which they will be with ion II) - compared with lasers which rely on the pilot room being down.

In general the lasers are better, mind, because most ships have few systemless rooms.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I think I've found my new favorite weapon, the pegasus(I find it all the time but usually don't use because the power cost). I have the pegasus along with dual lasers and pike beam with the occasional artillery attacking, but for the most part the pegasus does all the work(artillery usually hits the pilot bay which is really nice).

I forgot to use the ion bomb instead of the pegasus the second round of the boss but still had no trouble getting through. Little on ammo usage for how good it does. I was only able to use the pike beam and dual lasers for the rebels before the flagship because I usually have to target things first other than the shields, I never break them down in time before the flagship gets annihilated.

I have a pretty interesting setup this time too: no cloak, 3 shields and 2 defense drones. It actually seems to be pretty good, besides the fact that I lost 9hp second part(since the occasional missile would get through or the drone surges, I have to move a bar from oxygen to engines a lot, so I have to take a 'breather' sometimes lol). The defense drones shot down about 5 or 6 boarding pods but 1 got through afterwards. First round I lost 1hp. Haven't done third round yet, but should be easy since I'll switch out the ion bomb I didn't use for ion blast II.

Edit: Third round lost 9hp too(surge, owww oww oww!!!)

A while ago I actually had a boarding team but they both died on their first board(in sector 6) because one tp'd too late and accidentally moved the other one to another room before it activated. I need more practice with boarding, like a lot more. lol
    Last edited by KyoShinda; 09-07-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

Won a funny run with the Red-Tail yesterday... it became obvious that I did not learn a single thing from my mistakes with the Torus: I killed two complete boarding teams... both against automated enemy ships x-D The first mantis and rock were still inside when the enemy jumped away, the second (two rocks that I bought in the same sector for 130 scrap) could not be teleported out after the enemy cloaked and thus suffocated to death... in the end I was lucky to get yet another Mantis and so my third team survived till the end. Also this was my first boss fight without a cloaking device. I lost 2/3 of my hull points during all three boss stages, but I think it went quite well all in all. Maxed shields, engines and energy plus a defense drone did a good job. On the offense I had a burst laser I, a heavy laser I, one of the original small lasers and an ion bomb.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    Won a funny run with the Red-Tail yesterday... it became obvious that I did not learn a single thing from my mistakes with the Torus: I killed two complete boarding teams... both against automated enemy ships x-D The first mantis and rock were still inside when the enemy jumped away, the second (two rocks that I bought in the same sector for 130 scrap) could not be teleported out after the enemy cloaked and thus suffocated to death... in the end I was lucky to get yet another Mantis and so my third team survived till the end. Also this was my first boss fight without a cloaking device. I lost 2/3 of my hull points during all three boss stages, but I think it went quite well all in all. Maxed shields, engines and energy plus a defense drone did a good job. On the offense I had a burst laser I, a heavy laser I, one of the original small lasers and an ion bomb.
    Next time I try boarding I'll take those into consideration. It is pretty interesting fighting the boss without cloaking, it makes you feel like a guy in a bath robe with an ak-47.
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:

Hehe, funny picturing that.

Achieved No Red-shirts Here. with the Red-tail. How bad was I, only reaching sector 8 now without losing a crew member.

It's absolutely hopeless... just started a very nice run with the Zoltan ship... and once again destroyed the enemy ship with my whole boarding crew x-D I hate crew teleportation!
    So of course I haven't got the No Red-shirts achievement, too, Stingray ;-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

I ended up accidentally getting 2 achievements. The first one was 'astronomically low odds' where I was trying to get the 'use cloak to negate 9 pts of dmg' with the nesasio at the boss part 3(or 2, I forgot). The other one was 'flying on a wing and a prayer' with the bulwark because a couple times I got the fix event beacons and started doing speed runs because I was looking for the stupid rock homeworlds(so if I was at a shop I would say 'meh, 2/3 hp is fine, don't have time for shopping').
    Last edited by KyoShinda; 09-09-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    P2:

I cannot find the timerefuse to browse the ftl forums(spoileraphobia), but maybe one of you guys have. Are they going to do something about the scummy crew training exploits?

Training crew skills in asteroid fields or vs 'weak' opponents?

Edit - I have some suggestions to fix this concern, if you can link me to the best place to make these, alternatively I can post them here and you can relay them.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 09-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.