Thread: Challenge of Chaos

Default Challenge of Chaos

For all who have fallen in the prior leagues, even the accursed one who was cast into the Abyss, there lies for you now a chance for redemption! The League of Zombies and the League of Ghosts have arisen. Those who dare subject themselves to the tortures of infinity once more shall have a chance to gain new glory! Hear me now!

He who first lays his mortal hands on the Sceptre of Chaos shall earn himself a place in the final League of ChAoS!!

There are conditions of course. First, there are only two places available - one for each league. You may only participate in one of the two leagues of the dead. Thus you shall be competing with others in your league to achieve the sole place available to you. However to have any chance of ever reaching the sceptre you must co-operate with others in your league. Second, you must reach the sceptre before the Leagues of Light and Darkness are completed. Those who fall in the semifinal leagues may participate in this competition too, but must sign up before the first round of battle is over.

Remember there are many tactics to consider when working together to achieve the sceptre. Most important of all is when to backstab each other... Too early might cripple your character, too late might leave the prize in the hands of your enemy. And so in consideration of the intense chaotic nature of this challenge I hereby decalre that in both the League of Zombies and the League of Ghosts the ChAoS GaTe iS nOw OpEn!! Every despicable act you may fathom can be employed from the very beginning, if you so dare... Now rise up, warriors of death, and show the living what power you have left in you! The Challenge of Chaos is begun!

(PS. This was Soirana's idea, and a damned good one at that - wish I'd thought of it sooner!)
    Last edited by Grey; 05-23-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

*groan* Great, now we'll be dual-wielding seeds in a matter of days with a few points of spell knowledge in Know Alignment... Interestingly enough, the original idea of the winners ascending to the semifinals was rejected, but now someone has a direct go to finals card. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Interestingly enough, the original idea of the winners ascending to the semifinals was rejected, but now someone has a direct go to finals card. What?
    On an almost impossible ticket Only chance is if players co-operate hugely, and even then they'll likely all kill each other at the very end. Will make for good entertainment, non? I rejected the idea of simple winners getting a guaranteed final place, but this idea (where nothing is guaranteed) is far more tantalising. Soirana's justification of it to me ("like first to gran scepter is instantly teleported to finlas... ... and scepter combines nice with league of chaos") works rather well thematically too.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    On an almost impossible ticket Only chance is if players co-operate hugely, and even then they'll likely all kill each other at the very end. Will make for good entertainment, non? I rejected the idea of simple winners getting a guaranteed final place, but this idea (where nothing is guaranteed) is far more tantalising. Soirana's justification of it to me ("like first to gran scepter is instantly teleported to finlas... ... and scepter combines nice with league of chaos") works rather well thematically too.
    Yes, well the fact that the scepter is not really guaranteed makes it somewhat more fair. What if someone ran to the downstairs and descended on the SIL, for example? But still, it must be considered that most likely, there will be someone who can do it. From two leagues, with two half-decent characters... one can make it, and Malakai is easy at that point if the character already made it so far.

We'll see. Personally I'm expecting to see some quite horrendous slaughter around the early 60s as the players desperately cripple the character to stop the next person getting near the sceptre
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Veeery interesting. Well, the sky's the limit for these characters, but if they get that far the player on turn might have a slight logistics problem. Malakai can take a long time to kill. If he's still not dead when 2k turns comes up, victory goes to the next in line... although this discourages people from frantically diving from I: 50 to get the job done, which is good.

/in, League of Ghosts.
    Last edited by deepshock; 05-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.
    Top Score in ADOM: 10.1M- Normal victory (Male Dwarven Paladin)

King of All Dwarves.

In consideration of the rather rapid mortality rate in the semis-finals so far I must announce that this Challenge will be closed to new entrants (and the second round begun) at GMT midnight tonight (just under 20 hours away).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer