Thread: Should I go for it?

Hybrid View

Default Should I go for it?

Hi guys!
    I've got this drakish fighter who's had a very easy game so far, and I am currently just outside the air temple getting ready to tackle the master summoner and his foul minions, but there is a slight problem: I'm only level 22! I've had little trouble tackling anything I've encountered this far, but... Isn't lvl. 22 pushing it a bit much with a melee character? My stats are as follows (including modifications for gear):

St: 43 Le: 21 Wi: 27 Dx: 37 To: 43 Ch: 17 Ap: 7 Ma: 13 Pe: 19
    DV/PV 73/58 H: 412 P: 60 Sp: 109

I have loads of slaying ammo for my bow and crossbow, I have Clubs & hammers at lvl. 13 and most of the others quite high, as well as Shields at lvl. 12. I am also crowned neutral.
    To banish my foes I have primarily used Skullcrusher and Grod, though I have also acquired Wyrmlance and Purifier. I am pretty confident I can fuck Yulgash up in a couple of turns, but then what? Should I stick around for a while and level up, or should I continue down?
    Cheers!
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

You should be able to mop the floor with Air Temple. Very strong looking character! Probably low on xp because drakelings don't get the customary few extra levels in the Tower, but stats and eq are still good enough to roll with. If needs be you can spit Yulgash to death - takes about 15.

Air Temple isn't worth a great deal for xp, so I wouldn't bother cleaning it myself. Maybe nab some grues and elementals if you're getting decent xp from them. You should be get to get some good experience rewards in the upcoming Earth temple, and maybe some greater vaults - just stick away from greater undead vaults!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Experience honestly doesn't matter as much as a lot of other RPGs. Your level basically only affects your health and PP--pretty much everything else is governed by your stats and skills. Your stats, at least, appear to be pretty exceptional. Many characters finish the game with less health than you have right now. You shouldn't have any trouble clearing the air temple unless you get very unlucky.

Levelling is normally very boring in ADOM, and grinding for levels usually isn't very worthwhile. Most of your experience will come from a handful of monsters a little deeper down. If you're going for a regular ending, you might not finish at level 50, but you should be on pace to an easy win in the late 30s.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Experience honestly doesn't matter as much as a lot of other RPGs. Your level basically only affects your health and PP--pretty much everything else is governed by your stats and skills. Your stats, at least, appear to be pretty exceptional. Many characters finish the game with less health than you have right now. You shouldn't have any trouble clearing the air temple unless you get very unlucky.

Levelling is normally very boring in ADOM, and grinding for levels usually isn't very worthwhile. Most of your experience will come from a handful of monsters a little deeper down. If you're going for a regular ending, you might not finish at level 50, but you should be on pace to an easy win in the late 30s.
    Just be prepared: I once lost a promising character...'s stats by having a lot of minotaur mages summoned me. By the time I managed to limp out my stats were already damaged beyond repair - even with all the morgia and moss I had, recovering took a long time. Be warned.

> getting ready to tackle the master summoner and his foul minions,

Just make sure you're not doomed. That guy can
    summon horrible stuff when you're doomed.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Alright. Thanks for your replies, everyone. I'm going to give it a shot!
    With a little luck I'll get my second win with this char.
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

I'm nearing the mana temple where I've encountered problems in the past. It's always very time consuming and tedious to clear enough to get close enough to whack the archmage, same with D: 50 - it takes me like forever to clear out all the mutants, spawns and WMoPC.

Requesting advice on how to handle these dungeons. Any gurus up?

well deathray resistance is good to have.
    i have done the temple some times with melee chras, and slaying ammo is really good to have as is seeing invisible so mummy wrappings is of use unless you have those things from other sources.
    one time i have had some success with a scroll of vermin control read when entering mana temple temple, but have not had the chanse to try it out again.

staying at the entrance of the temple killing the mobs off and usually the archmage will come to you.

Yeah, I have AMW as well as a couple of death ray resistance amulets, but I'm thinking I will probably reserve the neck slot for an amulet of light. Is one source of death ray resistance enough in your opinion? I do have alertness at 100, so I shouldn't get caught too often anyway. I do have a scroll of vermin control, but does it stop summoners as well? Or is it primarily for the mutants?

Seems I'll do it the traditional way then - standing at the entrance and quickly sending anything that opposes my righteous cause back to the hellish pits that once spawned them... How Soirana managed this with his unarmed assassin is beyond me, though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nevermind - case (and gate) closed. My second win ever! JellySlayer's prediction proved accurate as I was lvl. 38 when leaving the Drakalor Chain. I did have a couple of close shaves on D: 50, but the Skullcrusher-wielding reptilian prevailed!