Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [newbie] WoW found quite early - suggestions?

Ok, so the consensus seems to be AoLS, 7LB, spellbooks of Acid Ball. And I like the idea of eternium shields. The plan for now would be to a) increase To, b) do the remaining dwarf quests and hope that there are blink dogs or other source of teleport control (if not, well, I see if I really need it). As for the last wish, experience sounds tempting. I will keep this thread updated to ask for more advice later on.

Agree with your first few choices. Pairs of 7LBs are the most immediately valuable in terms of survival and damage potential. AoLS is by far the second most valuable thing to you assuming you get to the dying sage - that wish will net you 6 blessed SoCR, spellbook of identify, spellbook of teleport, other stuff.

Agree with grobble - your willpower is a major liability at this point, and toughness is also very key. Both can be trained with morgia. There are plenty of tutorials on how to use a 2x2 patch of herbs to fill up a whole room with just a few potions of holy water.

Once you have dealt with the willpower and toughness, tail it back to the ID till you find a blink dog and farm it for corpses. Keep a careful eye on your xp, because the pyramid closes at level 18, but you pretty much need TC to guarantee victory there.

After that, see if you think you could survive a darkforge raid (depends on number of detect monster items you have) and see what it has to offer for you. If you are still in good shape, head back to the CoC, and work your way to Khelly (doing thundarr's quests of course) and try to do the water temple (carefully)...

And here's the key: If it becomes readily apparent at any point during this process that your PC lacks something that you are unlikely to obtain in a manner other than wishing, wish for it (typically this should match items in the popular wish list). There isn't any need to spend them recklessly though. Wishes saved for rainy days can save lives, and you need to remember that random loot is generated. There are times that I have found 3 pairs of 7LBs within 5 minutes of wishing for them. Also, remember that effective wish use is a balance between immediate survival, long term potential, and insurance against unforeseen circumstances.

And by the by, 6 charges??? Seriously?

Edit: Though I made no mention of eternium tower shields, they are indeed a very solid investment (although they can be found by forcing a few gift shop restocks), especially if lacking in DV/PV.
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    As for the last wish, experience sounds tempting. I will keep this thread updated to ask for more advice later on.
    Please consider saving the last charge (and the wrested charge) until another source of wishing is found (RoDS, etc) or you need it. Then again, when I have followed the advice of the ancient members on this forum (no matter how suspiciously I regarded it) it has always been good to me.

Edit: As I mentioned in this post, listen to the ancient members. Turns out I was wrong on this one. I was extrapolating from Nethack, and I am learning more and more that it's a rare situation where the principles of one roguelike can be safely applied to another
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Please consider saving the last charge (and the wrested charge) until another source of wishing is found (RoDS, etc) or you need it. Then again, when I have followed the advice of the ancient members on this forum (no matter how suspiciously I regarded it) it has always been good to me.
    Saving wishes is a bad idea, IMHO, if there are things that are worth wishing for at that point in time. Normally, when I decide to save a wish, I find that it ends up never getting used. Especially this early in the game, you're better off just taking all of the advantages you can get, as soon as you can get them. A wish at level 10 is worth 5 wishes at level 40, IMHO.

@OP: Just so you know, wands of wishing are basically indestructible. For your AoLS for Khelly, you might as well wish for it when you're standing next to him. AoLS are somewhat fragile... As another option for things to wish for, check out the video in grobblewobble's signature.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 10-05-2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Saving wishes is a bad idea, IMHO, if there are things that are worth wishing for at that point in time. Normally, when I decide to save a wish, I find that it ends up never getting used. Especially this early in the game, you're better off just taking all of the advantages you can get, as soon as you can get them. A wish at level 10 is worth 5 wishes at level 40, IMHO.

@OP: Just so you know, wands of wishing are basically indestructible. For your AoLS for Khelly, you might as well wish for it when you're standing next to him. AoLS are somewhat fragile... As another option for things to wish for, check out the video in grobblewobble's signature.
    And there you have it. If JellySlayer says use wishes early and often, I guess I need to change my policy.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    And there you have it. If JellySlayer says use wishes early and often, I guess I need to change my policy.
    Nobody is an absolute dispenser of the gospel truth. The way I see it, after you've already wished four times a fifth or a sixth wish isn't going to help you as much as the first four. In fact, it might not help at all since you've already wished for everything you could need... so why not save it for later, in case you hit a brick wall and are missing just one wish to be able to solve the problem? Or as I've said, as a safety buffer against corruption, for more SoCRs (though this is usually more of an issue in ultras)?

I, as the absolute dispenser of truth, say this: use all wishes for SoCR, so you can use the shield of raw steel for as long as possible. it is the most overpowered item in the game. not even the TotRR is anything by comparison. that is all
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I, as the absolute dispenser of truth, say this: use all wishes for SoCR, so you can use the shield of raw steel for as long as possible. it is the most overpowered item in the game. not even the TotRR is anything by comparison. that is all
    What's so OP about the SoRS, again? As far as I know, it's a fine speedrun item, and... that's it.

(And there is no reason to wish for SoCRs before you actually need to use them. Let's not give bad or misleading advice to newbies.)

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Saving wishes is a bad idea, IMHO, if there are things that are worth wishing for at that point in time. Normally, when I decide to save a wish, I find that it ends up never getting used.
    So do I, but that doesn't make saving a wish a bad idea. It's a contingency. I don't see a single problem with leaving the chain with five unused wishes in the pack. In one game I used a spare wish to djinni-strangle a werewolf king (Might've gotten some SoCR, not sure). Unused wishes are more valuable than a great many items; and since they come in the adamantium djinni ring and the eternium wand of wishing, often much sturdier. (Wishing for SoCR before you intend to read them is indeed not a very good idea.)

That's for regular endings - for ultra endings you want to save wishes for speed and possibly SoCR anyway. Even in a regular game, a wish for speed can turn any single boss fight into an absolute cakewalk.

That said, a good number of things are better than an unused wish in the pack, especially early in the game. My rule of thumb: If I have to stare at the inventory entry for WoWi or RoDS on the screen and think whether or not I might need anything in particular, I'm better off saving the wish altogether. If I think "I could really go for some 7LBs/red dragon scale mail/Acid Ball right now" almost instantly, that's what's gonna happen.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    What's so OP about the SoRS, again? As far as I know, it's a fine speedrun item, and... that's it.
    +18 DV, +16 PV (incl. To bonus. you should have To over 20, it is not hard..), +8 To. It absolutely blows protector and any other shields out of the water and can take you "from getting slaughtered by fire drakes" to "slaughtering ACW" if all you have is a measly blessed 1h adamantium weapon. outside tower I don't consider it nearly as useful, but I can imagine situations where the huge PV boost comes in handy

edit: it is not nearly so useful outside tower because outside tower is not nearly so hard i of course neglect to mention =Fire which can free up some ring slots if you have something nice
    Last edited by SirTheta; 10-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.