Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [newbie] WoW found quite early - suggestions?

compare thest two shields:

large eternium shield (-1) [+11, +5] = total dv/pv of 16
    shield of raw steel (+2) [+18, +12] +4 from To: = total dv/pv of 34
    also, for a To:20 PC, it would prolly give +50percent HP's. On top of that,
    =Fire =Cold -Pois. Wear this when crowning for a guaranteed 3rd
    immunity. The SoRS is much much better than dual wielding eternium
    tower shields, and it consumes only 1 item slot. Feel free to wear protector
    in your other hand and use primarily missiles for offense

The only wish that can rival SoCR (for SoRS use) is a wish for an
    ancient karmic wyrm (or 3), but some have died doing that.
    Last edited by gut; 10-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    compare thest two shields:

large eternium shield (-1) [+11, +5] = total dv/pv of 16
    shield of raw steel (+2) [+18, +12] +4 from To: = total dv/pv of 34
    also, for a To:20 PC, it would prolly give +50percent HP's. On top of that,
    =Fire =Cold -Pois. Wear this when crowning for a guaranteed 3rd
    immunity. The SoRS is much much better than dual wielding eternium
    tower shields, and it consumes only 1 item slot. Feel free to wear protector
    in your other hand and use primarily missiles for offense

The only wish that can rival SoCR (for SoRS use) is a wish for an
    ancient karmic wyrm (or 3), but some have died doing that.
    I don't see why you compared the SoRS to a large eternium shield. That's like comparing Executor to an adamantium battle axe.

PV becomes much less valuable in the late game, and the difference between the DV given by a tower eternium shield and the SoRS is, if you max your shield skill, 9. Let's, however, count the PV bonus as well - that's 12 PV. Alright, so the shield is quite a considerable improvement. At a point of the game where more DV and PV does little to prevent the most dangerous forms of death (i.e. at every point past ToEF, where corruption, death rays, serial critical hits that may punch through armor and various dumb mistakes claim the most victims), I'll pass up on the thing. Of course, if one is going for a regular ending one can't really go wrong with a SoRS and its corruption, either, but I'd never even consider this idea for an ultra. (I'd generally say that if you get a WoWi with 5 charges from the early midgame onwards, there's nothing except your own stupidity that can kill you anyway.)

I don't use it because I don't like killing NPCs, so I'm not sure of the actual corruption rate - but if you're smoking SoCR by the wishloads to use it, you're probably using it too much. It's best in the Tower and probably pretty good in selected battles, but at any other point you probably don't need it. That is unless you're speedrunning or being gut, i.e. relying mostly on guaranteed items.

Incidentally, the large eternium shield is not the best mundane shield. That would be the tower eternium shield. DV beats PV on shields any time of day.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

ok, coppied the wrong one. (-1) [+13, +4] * 2 is still 34, which is worse than the SoRS.

> I don't see why you compared the SoRS

because many consider TOWER eternium shields wish worthy. It compares favorably to
    protector as well, if that does it for you, but it isn't wishable, so quite rare. If you aren't
    impressed by one shield being better than 2...
    if shield skill = 11:
    ([+13, +4] * 2) + 22 = +48, +8
    [+18, +12] (+4) +22 = +40, +16 (+HP's, -pois and immunities)

> PV becomes much less valuable in the late game

Not if you aren't scumming your PV to insane levels through other means.

> I'm not sure of the actual corruption rate

I made it to D:50 on a melee non-speedrun using it constantly. Granted, I
    was HIGHLY corrupted, but I generated zero means of corruption removal
    that game and still won.
    Last edited by gut; 10-06-2012 at 04:26 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    wear it while crowning for a guaranteed 3rd immunity.
    This brings up an interesting question I have that isnt related to the thread but I don't feel it merits it's own thread. Theoretically, wouldn't the ideal crowning immunities be fire and cold? Acid and Lightning are obtainable (according to the GB monster list) by eating giant slugs and lightning lizards respectively. Admittedly, I have yet to come across more than a single corpse of either in a game, much less obtain the immunity from it. But is there a semi-viable way to get 3/4 intrinsic immunities?
    I need a shorter sig.

=Fire and =Cold are a lot easier to get (from items or stacking resistance) than =Acid or =Elec. =Cold would be the worst crowning immunity in a normal game since you are guaranteed both the AMW and at some point the RCT if you so wish. Since immunity granting corpses aren't easy to come by (and are much harder without food pres) in normal (i.e. non scumming for them) play, the immunities can come in quite handy if you generate a, say, black dragon vault, or desire to do the BDC (and =Elec is nice for Air Temple even tho you will have elemental gauntlets). (I might consider =Elec the most desirable crowning immunity simply because there is no -Elec ring [to my knowledge] and the BDC are guaranteed whereas acid breathing monsters not so much)
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    =Fire and =Cold are a lot easier to get (from items or stacking resistance) than =Acid or =Elec. =Cold would be the worst crowning immunity in a normal game since you are guaranteed both the AMW and at some point the RCT if you so wish. Since immunity granting corpses aren't easy to come by (and are much harder without food pres) in normal (i.e. non scumming for them) play, the immunities can come in quite handy if you generate a, say, black dragon vault, or desire to do the BDC (and =Elec is nice for Air Temple even tho you will have elemental gauntlets). (I might consider =Elec the most desirable crowning immunity simply because there is no -Elec ring [to my knowledge] and the BDC are guaranteed whereas acid breathing monsters not so much)
    Thank you. I hadn't taken note that there isn't a -Elec equivalent to rings of fire resistance (etc). Of course there's rings of minor elemental mastery, but they're orders of magnitude harder to find. I am also pleased when I am crowned with electricity or acid immunity. Thanks for explaining the logic.
    I need a shorter sig.

Immunity to shock, acid and fire are all good. I personally consider acid immunity the most valuable since acid resistance isn't on the elemental gauntlets or the ring of the High Kings. You get one level from an ant corpse (though early) and you usually find some rings of acid resistance and that's it. More than once I lost acid resistance from a pool, forgot about it and ran into an acid vortex without any resistance at all.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

An interesting side discussion. Regarding the immunities, I would rank them: Acid, Elec, Fire, Ice.
    About saving the wishes: I follow the logic of Silfir and - if I cannot come up with something to wish at current moment, I keep it.
    Which nicely brings me to my game. I used three wishes so far: 7lb (got *four* pairs: uncursed 3/0 and 1/0, cursed 1/1 and 1/0), AoLS (and saved Khelly), tower eternium shields (four uncursed 13/4). I will wish for the spellbooks of Acid Ball once my Le goes up a little (I think that for the moment the spells I have are sufficient). I will pay Darkforge a visit, but will not attempt to get SoRS (though it is nice). By the way, do steel golems see invisible? Because I am quite sure they do (the GB says nothing about it). As for the quests, I am left with the last one from the dwarf. Now on to farming for morgia and looking for a blink dog; then daemon and the RoHK.

Steel golems see invisible and are very good at shrugging bolt spells. Just to warn you. Ball spells will be a big help against them. Personally I would actually spend a wish on the lightning ball spell now because it will melt them like nothing else, but some might consider that a waste of a wish.

If not, I strongly advise to wish for the acid ball spell before DF. You donīt have to read your books to exhaustion immediately after wishing. You can also, say, read once, use the spell to make darkforge much safer, grab the crown of science for +9 learning, then drink all potions of boost learning and then finish reading the books. Blessing your books before reading helps too.

Regarding the SoRS, it's a very powerful item indeed, but sacrificing 6 wishes for it? Sorry gut, that's madness.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.