Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: [newbie] WoW found quite early - suggestions?

+3 on the possibility of a ki-rin threat room. Once had one in the level with the shortcut to Darkforge. But I'm guessing they're as rare as the monsters themselves.

DH provides some interesting tension and threat rooms. I've had molochs (which provided nice corpses and a few suits of hulking armor after a Magic Missile marathon) and titans (they don't see in darkness, but eternium quarrels HURT) of both kinds, as well as chaos knights (lots of eternium gear ).

Mixed vaults also tend to spawn monsters of very high DL compared to the area they're in. For example, a werewolf lord in PC:6.

"And light there be!"

Those are great, though! Because it's a threat room of greater molochs [not a tension room], you won't aggro all of them at once and you can lure them out and dispatch them one by one (eliminating chance of hulking armor death in 1.1.1) for the easiest mess-ton of exp you'll ever find (and a potentially nice st/to boost). I once had a _huge_ one of those (something absurd like 39 of them, if my flg is to be believed).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

acid_dark.jpg
    I have just been covered with acidic fluids while fighting acid vortex in the dark. This was in a long corridor D:45, so no door. Anyone care to reproduce? I thought vortices are unable to explode in the dark - it seems they are just unable to fight back. 1.2.0p3.
    Last edited by sorrow; 10-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.

I haven't had a vortex explode in the dark so far in prerelease 3. Was it a cavernous level by any chance?

I will say that vortices could really be made more dangerous by letting them see in the dark.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    I have just been covered with acidic fluids while fighting acid vortex in the dark. This was in a long corridor D:45, so no door. Anyone care to reproduce? I thought vortices are unable to explode in the dark - it seems they are just unable to fight back. 1.2.0p3.
    Were you in a narrow corridor at the time? In a situation like this where a monster is in a narrow corridor and then pinned:

Code:
    #######
    ..BV@..
    #######
    monsters will still be able to find/attack you even under darkness.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Were you in a narrow corridor at the time? In a situation like this where a monster is in a narrow corridor and then pinned:

Code:
    #######
    ..BV@..
    #######
    monsters will still be able to find/attack you even under darkness.
    Yes, narrow corridor is correct. I saw only the vortex entering the corridor, I think there was nothing else there. However, something might have showed up while I was bashing the vortex - which probably solves my problem.
    @anon123 - nope, it was D:45. It seems that there were no cavernous levels all the way to D:47. Some did have weirdly shaped rooms, but no big caves.

Now, a quick question: I am at level 27 and I am slowly reaching Mana Temple. There is a greater titan on the way and I can seem to get rid of it (those damn quarrels have about the same range as my spells and they hit harder). I am a little afraid of being too low level for tackling the temple. Is venturing to kill Barney and level up on the way reasonable? Though I am afraid that nasties there will simply smash me - considering I have problems with the titan... Any advice?

Titans/greater titans are far more nasty [w/o darkness] than any other monster in a [non-ultra] game, imo. Use darkness to easily kill them, though.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Now, a quick question: I am at level 27 and I am slowly reaching Mana Temple. There is a greater titan on the way and I can seem to get rid of it (those damn quarrels have about the same range as my spells and they hit harder). I am a little afraid of being too low level for tackling the temple. Is venturing to kill Barney and level up on the way reasonable? Though I am afraid that nasties there will simply smash me - considering I have problems with the titan... Any advice?
    I'd suggest avoiding the dragon caves entirely. If you need xps, the ancient karmic wyrm at the entrance to the dragon caves doesn't see invisible and can be killed with magic missiles for a bundle. Use slow monster on yourself just before you kill him for best results (and cast invis on him if you're in 1.1.1). Level 27-30 is not unreasonable for Mana Temple for a non-ultra. Pretty much all of the levels from 35-50 will come from killing the balors on D:50 if you choose to do so.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thanks for the suggestions. I managed to close the gate (yay!). I will post a YA(F)VP tomorrow - now it is time for a well deserved drink.