Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [newbie] WoW found quite early - suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    Side question about RoHK, theoretically: with 7lb I can outrun basically anything there - so this means I could just grab the ring and flee? I always killed the dude and never noticed if the ring is there all the time.
    If the skeletal king doesn't pick the ring up beforehand, it should be possible to lure him out, take it, outrun him and leave. Personally, I always kill him, and with Lightning Ball in your repertoire, it shouldn't be too hard for you to do the same. Anyway, whatever the choice, set Coward tactics and watch out for confusion, the most frequent cause of YASD in this level.

Other side question: does the Oracle always leave corpse? If so, +6 Le sounds tempting (I have means of death ray resistance, and some decent missiles). I think I have killed her in one of my games, but I cannot remember exactly.
    Yes, she always leaves a corpse, although you usually won't get the full +6 if Le is higher than 20. That's why I suggested exploiting starvation. You can also bless it for a chance of extra PP and +1 Mana.
    "And light there be!"

Now, a quick update (I know the progress is slow - but I have very little time for playing).

While farming for morgia and pacifying the Big Room, one of the items dropped was amulet of teleport control (yay!). So, I hopped to the DF to find no decent armour (in fact, about 75% of the stuff was clothes). I also managed to find a spellbook of Lightning Ball and learnt it. In the mean time I grabbed the RoHK (funny, it always turns out that it is much easier than I expect). Anyway, I am now at level 16, with To, Dx and Wi all around 25. The plan for now is to hop to DF again, having Wi on 32 (with Nonnak's sword and amulet of Wi+3), to get exp and the Crown. I think I also have enough blessed stomafilias to sacrifice to remove dooming. The wish would then go for Acid Ball and learning it, while wearing CoS. And then - dive into CoC for more exp, before ToEF.

Side question about RoHK, theoretically: with 7lb I can outrun basically anything there - so this means I could just grab the ring and flee? I always killed the dude and never noticed if the ring is there all the time.

Other side question: does the Oracle always leave corpse? If so, +6 Le sounds tempting (I have means of death ray resistance, and some decent missiles). I think I have killed her in one of my games, but I cannot remember exactly.
    Yes, I just grabbed the RotHC without killing the skeleton king last night. Also, as gobble pointed out, I forgot you didnt have TC. Thank you for grabbing that before diving into the DF... depending on the situation, DF can be suicide without TC. Its normal to find almost all clothes, but about 4/5 games I find a set of DSM as well. I've also found vigilant clothes of traveling. I also check the weapon cache to see if any artifacts were generated (and obviously check for better weapons than what I am using).

Glad you found that amulet. Keep an eye out for blink dogs (almost mistyped it at blink gods... what a terrifying prospect that would be!) so you can free that ammy slot.

If you're planning on removing dooming from the crown, it's not possible. Just uncurse the thing and take it off.
    Last edited by nipon621; 10-07-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    Keep an eye out for blink dogs (almost mistyped it at blink gods... what a terrifying prospect that would be!)
    Blink gods. Now that sounds like an idea for a monster in ADOM 1.3 They should be like quicklings (but more powerful), very rare (maybe only in DH:2 or below CoC:40, or as artefact guardians), lawful, capable of summoning more of themselves, impossible to sacrifice, probably immune to elemental attacks, and capable of teleporting the PC to the place where he is surrounded by them or other monsters. The corpse should curse, doom and grant on-demand teleportation.

If you're planning on removing dooming from the crown, it's not possible. Just uncurse the thing and take it off.
    Ah, ok. I always thought that the dooming from anythink makes one doomed, even if the thing is taken off (it would make more sense to me that way). Anyways, more progress tomorrow. I need sleep.
    Last edited by sorrow; 10-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Blink gods. Now that sounds like an idea for a monster in ADOM 1.3 They should be like quicklings (but more powerful), very rare (maybe only in DH:2 or below CoC:40, or as artefact guardians), lawful, capable of summoning more of themselves, impossible to sacrifice, probably immune to elemental attacks, and capable of teleporting the PC to the place where he is surrounded by them or other monsters. The corpse should curse, doom and grant on-demand teleportation.

Ah, ok. I always thought that the dooming from anythink makes one doomed, even if the thing is taken off (it would make more sense to me that way). Anyways, more progress tomorrow. I need sleep.
    Oh God, what have I done? Although, on demand teleport (similar to a class/racial ability) might make it worth the terror. It would also give another reason to be lawful... I have yet to feel compelled to be anything other than neutral. Chaotics could potentially be sacrificed while worshiping, lawfuls potentially loose out on the tremendous bonus available from pickpocketing... I'm not experienced with them so I dont know if it's always a chaotic act to use that skill or not.

Yeah, it's an item granted intrinsic, just like a ring of fire resistance or the ancient mummy wrapping. You take it off, you loose the resistances/intrinsics. It's tied to the item, not the PC.
    I need a shorter sig.

I have yet to feel compelled to be anything other than neutral. Chaotics could potentially be sacrificed while worshiping, lawfuls potentially loose out on the tremendous bonus available from pickpocketing... I'm not experienced with them so I dont know if it's always a chaotic act to use that skill or not.
    It is, and it's possible to go from N- to NC to C by pickpocketing, although it takes a lot of uses for that to happen.

I prefer chaotic alignment, simply because it lets you get away with the heinous acts that I'd never do in real life, but that ADOM abstracts enough to make only advantageous. Steal from every monster you see, dig all graves and murder NPCs that have outlived their usefulness, using blindness, paralysis and stunning if you have to. The risk of being sacrificed is always present, but it can be minimized by using doors and invisibility, as well as being quick with your altar-related business.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    It is, and it's possible to go from N- to NC to C by pickpocketing, although it takes a lot of uses for that to happen.

I prefer chaotic alignment, simply because it lets you get away with the heinous acts that I'd never do in real life, but that ADOM abstracts enough to make only advantageous. Steal from every monster you see, dig all graves and murder NPCs that have outlived their usefulness, using blindness, paralysis and stunning if you have to. The risk of being sacrificed is always present, but it can be minimized by using doors and invisibility, as well as being quick with your altar-related business.
    Funnily enough, that's why I prefer lawful. If you're N=, it doesn't take very many undead corpses or graves dug to turn you chaotic, but as L+ you can rack up enough alignment to get away with all sorts of horrible atrocities without drifting, and still receive much less corruption than a chaotic.

And being L lets you sacrifice almost anything, which both helps you get your piety up and can save your life. I think as a lawful I've actually sacrificed shopkeepers before.

But early on, neutral is nice so you don't get the stupid axe from the mystic. IMO pickpocketing is useless unless you really really need an AoLS so that's not a concern for me.

suprised noone has suggested dumping a couple of wishes into Willpower, getting to the 64 Willpower barrier makes a big difference to your ball spells too.

... Anything beyond 32 Willpower is fairly nonconsequential if you ask me. Worth a wish? I don't think a wish gives even ten points.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

and it isn't even that hard to get Willpower to 48 with appropriate equipment and a little bit of scumming if you're that desperate...64 is way overkill though.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

How much Wi do you get by wishing for some? In average, would it be more efficient to do that twice, or just ask for potions of willpower (+8 if you bless all of them)?
    "And light there be!"