Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: [newbie] WoW found quite early - suggestions?

GB says as much as Wi+7 is possible with one wish, but I have not tested that.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    GB says as much as Wi+7 is possible with one wish, but I have not tested that.
    Averages 5 which is higher than potions.

getting 48 isn't that easy, especially without the water orb for the +10 boost. imho it makes a big difference on the elemental temples and on d50 where you can't regen PP so easily. More bang for your buck. I think +10 Wi is worth two wishes. But thats just me, if you get preserver probably less so.

Nonnak + Water Orb + Necklace of Perseverance (fairly common item) is a +18 boost, most of it indestructible and there for most of the game (or you could just starvation scum up another 2-3 Wi to obviate the need for necklace [since 31 Wi is fairly possible with sickness training]). Not sure why you wouldn't have the water orb except for D50, unless you were doing some sort of speed run.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Averages 5 which is higher than potions.

getting 48 isn't that easy, especially without the water orb for the +10 boost. imho it makes a big difference on the elemental temples and on d50 where you can't regen PP so easily. More bang for your buck. I think +10 Wi is worth two wishes. But thats just me, if you get preserver probably less so.
    On D:50 (and well before), you should be HPcasting every turn. PP is basically an irrelevant attribute after the ToEF because you have enough HP not to care.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    On D:50 (and well before), you should be HPcasting every turn. PP is basically an irrelevant attribute after the ToEF because you have enough HP not to care.
    nonetheless, at Level 50, things like Tower Eternium etc, are very easy to find. Will doesn't get less useful as the game goes on, but wishes for things like Tower Eternium shields etc do.

HP casting is fine, but being able to hit 4 balors at once instead of 2 to me, is a big advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    nonetheless, at Level 50, things like Tower Eternium etc, are very easy to find. Will doesn't get less useful as the game goes on, but wishes for things like Tower Eternium shields etc do.

HP casting is fine, but being able to hit 4 balors at once instead of 2 to me, is a big advantage.
    Sure, but who cares about what happens to you at level 50? That's the easiest part of the game. Balors don't scare me; ghuls, ogre-magi, spider factories: Those are the things that scare me, because these things can actually kill me. Level 1-18 is where the game is won or lost. The game is already won long before you set foot into D:50.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

One of my mages enjoys a boost willpower drinking binge now and then, and a radius 4 acid ball is rather nice for clearing rooms, but it gets to a point where youre paranoid about killing things you didnt intend to kill and could not see... cats in the next room for instance.

So basically, super high willpower has its drawbacks too. It can certainly be nice, but I wouldn't make a point of making it a major priority other than to get 32 - try to find an amulet that boosts it. Pretty easy fix when combined with some other stuff (ie; orb of elemental water)
    I need a shorter sig.

Quote Originally Posted by nipon621 View Post
    One of my mages enjoys a boost willpower drinking binge now and then, and a radius 4 acid ball is rather nice for clearing rooms, but it gets to a point where youre paranoid about killing things you didnt intend to kill and could not see... cats in the next room for instance.
    As you play ADOM, chances of accidentally killing a cat get close to 1. This happens twice as fast if you already have the RotMC. It has nice bonuses, but I don't want to play the game with fear I could bolt a cat out of LOS and have the ring blow up, so I don't bother with it anymore. At least the cat lord gives nice xp

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have a quick question for those who clear D: 50 (wand of destruction fans begone): have you noticed more artifact drops there? I've always generated an artifact or two after clearing the level. But it could be sheer coincidence, given it has tons of monsters and the highest DL in the game, and I'm not a very good player so I haven't got to D: 50 too often in the first place
    "And light there be!"

I am not a good statistical sample, as I have not cleared D:50 at all The three times I was there so far (once killed by Fisty, once turned into purplish 'j' because of background corruption and once killed I think by growing hooves just when I was about to drink my blessed PoUH) no artifacts were generated. Might be, that the odds increase once the gate is closed, Fisty is dead, or just random drop.

Returning to my topic Assume that I wished for emperor moloch. If I recall correctly, the shitload of greater molochs will take forever to kill? Approximately, what efficiency in Magic Missile, Acid Bolt or Acid Ball should I have to *deal* them any damage, nevermind killing them easily? No phase daggers so far, besides - I play as wizard and would like to blast them away with magick.
    Another easy way of getting experience would be AKWs. How many of them appear? They are also tough, but do not see invisible (right?), so should be easier, as I can stand between them (with ring of invis.) and just cast Acid Ball / whatever till they drop dead. Also, wouldn't it be better than molochs also due to corpse effects? The reason I am asking is that I had 3 or 4 wishes so far since gamma 16 (? or similar) and at most one in a game - so it never crossed my mind to wish for something else than 7LB / AoLS.
    And another question: how does the fact of being at level around 45 before ToEF and (especially) Earth Temple affects these locations? I mean, the monsters are generated stronger - but how much stronger? Stone Beast has enough HP already...

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    Another easy way of getting experience would be AKWs. How many of them appear? They are also tough, but do not see invisible (right?), so should be easier, as I can stand between them (with ring of invis.) and just cast Acid Ball / whatever till they drop dead. Also, wouldn't it be better than molochs also due to corpse effects?
    Only one of them will appear, even if you ask for many. They don't see invisible and are immune to all elements, but Magic Missile or Petrification (if you have it) will do the trick. Moloch corpses increase To while reducing Dx; AKW corpses refill your PP, have a chance of +1 Ma as all spellcasters, as well as the same effect as other karmic beings - but they're very rare, at least without Food Preservation.

I wrote a nice checklist of stuff you can do to maximize the gains from an AKW, read it here: http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Ancie..._wyrm#Strategy

A PC complying with all those requirements can get over 10 million xp. A non-obsessed player can reasonably expect to get from 7 to 8 million xps from each wyrm. That is, until you kill too many and the game beings halving the experience received.

The emperor moloch wish is much more efficient experience-wise, since you get a few dozen greater molochs, and each one of them gives great experience. I never did it in a normal game, wouldn't want to be cornered by them, but I'm guessing a lot of magic missiles or acid balls would be required.

And another question: how does the fact of being at level around 45 before ToEF and (especially) Earth Temple affects these locations? I mean, the monsters are generated stronger - but how much stronger? Stone Beast has enough HP already...
    Player level affects monsters' experience as well? I thought only danger level, dooming and KPL decided that. Your level does affect which monsters are generated though.
    "And light there be!"