Thread: How does one make a Potion of Unholy Water?

Default How does one make a Potion of Unholy Water?

I thought it was done by dropping a potion of water (or potion of holy water) onto a non-aligned altar, but when I try that, the deity says, "thanks, heretic!" and destroys the potion instead.

Playing 1.2.0p3; I'm a neutral, dropping onto a chaotic altar - that's my only option for non-aligned altars at the moment. I tried a potion of holy water, and later an uncursed potion of water. No joy.

Am I forgetting something? Perhaps this was never possible, and unholy water was always only a lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post

Am I forgetting something? Perhaps this was never possible, and unholy water was always only a lie?
    only way to make holy water unholy is to have a god curse you

cursed scroll of uncursing, dipping into unholy water, npc cursing it.

Not the only way.

I don't know about the dropping onto altar, can't really remember. Maybe it was removed. Cause of it being a scummy tactic to make monsters blind?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 11-01-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    Learn to learn.

There is a sweet spot where dropping items on non-aligned altar curses them. I believe it corresponds to roughly the same piety as deity cursing you (though this is really just a supposition); whereas items that are destroyed when dropped would mean you get your equipment wiped.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post
    I thought it was done by dropping a potion of water (or potion of holy water) onto a non-aligned altar, but when I try that, the deity says, "thanks, heretic!" and destroys the potion instead.
    That's funny. They have done this with other valuables I dropped accidentally (e.g. amulet of life saving ), but for me, water is either ignored or cursed when dropped in a cross-aligned altar. In the few occasions I've needed to do this, sometimes the ground rumbles, sometimes rats are summoned, but eventually the other god curses the pots. But that was in 1.1.1 and some altar-related behavior has changed in the prereleases.

Can you trigger piety effects from the cross-aligned deity (e.g. dusted equipment) by doing this?
    "And light there be!"

As far as I've seen they will summon stuff to fight you, destroy the item you dropped on the altar or curse the item on the altar only. I've never seen them dust worn items for dropping items on their altar.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.