Thread: ADOM II status

Default ADOM II status

I've tried to find some discussion of this, but haven't been able to. Given the recent crowd-funding of an ADOM revitalization, where does that leave development on ADOM II/JADE? Is it on hold? Is it still ongoing? Has it been scrapped?

I'm just curious, as I was really looking forward to more from ADOM II and haven't heard a peep about it since the ADOM crowd-funding initiative kicked off.

I think TB had hoped to have the 0.3.0 patch out by the end of the campaign, but it seems there was a bit too much work to finish it in that time-frame. In the long term ADOM II development is most likely not scrapped given that it is much easier to extend than the original ADOM. In the short term we're probably not going to see much more ADOM II development given the post-campaign logistics and the task of making good on campaign promises.

I imagine there's a slim chance we will see a new ADOM II release if the 0.3.0 version is extremely close to being finished, and otherwise there won't be much progress until the new version of ADOM is completed (which could take somewhere on the order of a year).

I find it quite a pitty that ADOM II is no longer being payed attention. I think it would have been a better decision to crowd-fund ADOM II. Given the capabilities of the ADOM II framework, I believe it would have been rather simple to migrate (more or less) the whole ADOM game into ADOM II as just another quest or something. That would be the path I'd have chosen. However, TB decided differently and all we can do is respect that.

I seem to remember I read TB say on Facebook (or maybe in the resurrection party) that he would devote ~10% of the time to ADOM II and 90% to ADOM.

I think it's great that ADOM development has been revived. Even if the JADE engine is much more powerful, porting a full large game like ADOM to a new engine is a lot of work. And it was a pity to have such a great game as ADOM with serious limitations and crash bugs.

That said, I think I'd have preferred a 50-50 split of time between ADOM and ADOM II - but I guess it's normal that TB wants to prioritize ADOM more because there's people who have paid in exchange for rewards and will want to see those rewards as soon as possible, while no specific promises have been made about ADOM II.

I was wondering the same thing. I kept thinking, "Is the funding campaign for #1 or #2??". I don't care either way, I'm just excited about having tilesets.