Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [IDEA] Talent on each level-up?

Default [IDEA] Talent on each level-up?

Would it really be that unbalancing if we were to receive a talent on each level increase?

That way talents will get more value mid to late game and even more so early game. Well, maybe still not so much late game.
    The early game will be ever so slightly eased, but not massively perhaps.

Every 3 levels just feels so far apart even in the early game when one rushes through level ups.

Thoughts?

Edit - Every 2nd level?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 10-01-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Most talents are useless anyway so I think maybe one talent every two levels is enough. When my char is around level 40-45, I really don't know what to choose from since everything available at that point is more or less superficial.
    I'd say we need more talents overall, some more useful ones at the beginning and some powerful late game talents, which is what's missing, in my opinion.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Scanning through the talents again, I honestly think one on every level up will work nicely. A test run would be good, I think and reverting will probably take a minute of coding.

There are barely enough talents in the game to make meaningful choices all the way up to 50 as it is. Getting a talent every level means you've loaded up on all the important ones by level 10. Every two levels, eh. Possibly? I don't see the need.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    There are barely enough talents in the game to make meaningful choices all the way up to 50 as it is. Getting a talent every level means you've loaded up on all the important ones by level 10. Every two levels, eh. Possibly? I don't see the need.
    To get a talent that is useful to your character when it is useful, in the early game. When I reach level 18 most of the current talents makes little difference as you've noted.

I fully agree that we need additional talents for mid to late game usefulness. In addition to my suggestion.

Y no liek dis?
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Y no liek dis?
    U ken still only tayk won every free lefels in dat RFE, bud dose sujestins ar mybie goed for mid gaym. I fienk dere choelt bee more trees for mid gaym.

Edit - oh, I see JS did suggest a talent every other turn, upvoting. I only read 1) before posting the above funny looking paragraph. I try to pronounce english as eloquently as I can, not laaik in dat paragraf.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 10-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.

This would require some serious balancing work. For current talents this would make the game too easy. By level 5 almost every single character would move with 117 speed, by level 8 would have twice carrying capacity or 4 natural PV, and by level 11 treasure hunter on top. By level 14 or 15 you would cast books with the half the cost etc. ... and I was now considering chars starting with one talent....

If you want to suggest some sense making system creating at least 100 additional talents and thinking of ways to balance them then go ahead. Otherwise discussion is kinda pointless.
    I already believe that introduction of talents in 1.0.0 was one of the greatest buffs that players received. Life was much much harder when your char started with 100 speed and could not escape even beggars chasing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Thoughts?
    Either a little bit more talents on character creation or more talents later in the game. You jump levels like crazy early, maybe one talent each two levels after 12 or 18.

And the biggest flaw in your suggestion - you could pick every talent you need early. Then you will be left with useless talents popping up every level for the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    U ken still only tayk won every free lefels in dat RFE, bud dose sujestins ar mybie goed for mid gaym. I fienk dere choelt bee more trees for mid gaym.

Edit - oh, I see JS did suggest a talent every other turn, upvoting. I only read 1) before posting the above funny looking paragraph. I try to pronounce english as eloquently as I can, not laaik in dat paragraf.
    I was kinda surprised by this since you've posted on that issue thread.
    The more important fact is that TB replied to that issue stating that from all of JS's ideas he liked elite talents most. I think that if the talent system is going to be modified that this is the way it will. Therefore, we'll want to think of reasonable elite talents.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.