Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Works great

1 33.33%
  • Doesn't even run

1 33.33%
  • ADOM devoured my phone.

1 33.33%

Thread: Native ADOM on Android (no dosbox)

Default Native ADOM on Android (no dosbox)

Since 1.2.0 was built for 'Raspbian' Linux (which is ARM EABI like most Android devices out there), it's possible to get working by bundling a few libraries and a wrapper script.

This is especially nifty on full keyboard phones like the Epic4g. For devices without a keyboard, it's probably incredibly painful without a software keyboard such as 'full keyboard' or 'hacker's keyboard'.

* Get ConnectBot. If you have it and use it already, take note of the emulation mode and encoding settings below. YMMV on your device/rom.
    * Under settings, set emulation mode to 'screen'. Configure a local connection, change it's settings to have encoding 'us-ascii'

* Snag this adom_linux_arm-android_runner.zip (adom_linux_arm-android_runner.zip), and the .tar.gz for 'Raspbian Linux' on the official download page. Alternatively, https://epic-cm7-tinfoilhat.googleco...unofficial.zip which has the game bundled with the wrapper (*)
    * Find a directory that's -not- on the sdcard to unzip to. If you don't have root, try /data/local or /data/data/org.connectbot
    * unzip and untar the file(s).
    * Run game
    Code:
    unzip /sdcard/download/adom_android_arm_1.2.0_pre3-unofficial.zip
    tar xvfz adom_android_arm_1.2.0_pre3-unofficial.tar.gz
    -or-
    unzip /sdcard/download/adom_linux_arm-android_runner.zip
    tar xvfz adom_linux_arm-android_runner.tar.gz
    tar xvfz /sdcard/download/adom_linux_arm_1.2.0_pre3.tar.gz

cd adom
    ./run
    Note, this will ONLY work on ARM devices.
    Last edited by AtomicDryad; 10-06-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Great stuff! Thanks for that. Your script works on N900 (maemo) and the speed seems same as running x86 linux binary through qemu (as in screens loading instantly vs extremely poor refresh rate in dosbox). Hopefully this approach will be more processor efficient (less battery use).

Edit: Both options seems to use 0% while in background, but raspbian binary seems to take less memory (1.0 vs 3.4% through qemu), this should mean more adom out of a single battery charge, yay!
    Last edited by szopin; 10-06-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: some htop results added

I received a "FATAL: kernel too old" error.

From a poster on Maemo's website I was told that message comes from glibc and that he guesses this binary is statically linked with a version incompatible with the Diablo kernel so it looks like a lost cause.

I'm running what's called Maemo 4, otherwise known as Diablo on a Nokia N800 tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    I received a "FATAL: kernel too old" error.

From a poster on Maemo's website I was told that message comes from glibc and that he guesses this binary is statically linked with a version incompatible with the Diablo kernel so it looks like a lost cause.

I'm running what's called Maemo 4, otherwise known as Diablo on a Nokia N800 tablet.
    Ugh.

Well, the binary isn't statically linked, the problem is the libraries I included; I used libc directly from a Raspbian SD image, since adom is linked to that. Apparently those libraries are picky.

There's a way around this, of course...but one would need to setup a build environment for Raspbian, and recompile libc with --enable-kernel=(whatever)

Type 'uname -a' on your device, what's it say?

Heya Atomic.

From your request, I get this message.

Linux Nokia-N800-43-7 2.6.21-omap1 #2 Mon Aug 16 19:30:32 BST 2010 armv6l unknown

Prerelease 17 for ARM will be statically linked, see issue 1271. I hope this helps!?
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa