Thread: 3 for the price of 1! Protian, the grey elf Wizard

Default 3 for the price of 1! Protian, the grey elf Wizard

Well, through the magic of save-scumming, you get three stupid deaths for the price of one character! Which should also serve as an indication of why I resorted to save-scumming in the first place. For the record, I died on my way to Keethrax, hunting him at much too low a level, which is when I decided to finally begin save-scumming. (Many, many characters have died prior to this one, and I was finally fed up.) But after that, I plumbed the depths of the CoC with nary a death, until these three got me.

First, I had made it all the way to the bottom of UL, when I decided to go back up and get the earth orb, which I skipped at first. I dug over with mystic shovel, then learned that some of the walls are undiggable. So, standing in a narrow corridor I had just dug to the right, I decide to dig down. Except, Magic Missile is right next to Mystic Shovel, and I accidentally chose the wrong spell. With a decent willpower (48ish), that bolt bounced a lot before letting my broken, blasted body slump to the earth.

OK, through the magic of resurrection, I'm back. Things go much better, and I manage to get Sting and Needle (my first time!) without dying. Well, I'm now feeling pretty invincible. I go to CoC 50, and begin wreaking havoc. I feel so tough, that I completely forget that the enemies are sometimes hitting me back. All of a sudden, I'm dead, and it takes me several seconds to realize that it wasn't anything magic, they just kept hitting me and I didn't even notice.

Finally, I clear CoC 50 and close the gate, and decide to go see how the blue dragon caves are now that I have Sting and Needle. I'm fighting away, when a couple of dragons line up. I decide to blast them with Death Ray, forgetting that the ray bounces. I died with a facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdavis View Post
    I feel so tough, that I completely forget that the enemies are sometimes hitting me back. All of a sudden, I'm dead, and it takes me several seconds to realize that it wasn't anything magic, they just kept hitting me and I didn't even notice.
    Happens. Sometimes you get so hooked up with the heat of combat, that you forget to mind your hit points.
    "And light there be!"