Thread: [Windows] Batch file to make ADOM 1.2.0 run after a crash.

Hybrid View

Thumbs up [Windows] Batch file to make ADOM 1.2.0 run after a crash.

Hello everyone,

after reading some recent posts from people whose ADOM installs refused to run anymore and were left clueless about it, I decided to write a quick batch file to fix that.

If when you want to run the Windows port of 1.2.0+, it flashes for a split-second then closes, run the attached .bat to make it work again. (Versions 1.1.1 and below store their settings in the same directory as the executable, so you only have to delete the adom.prc file inside adom_dat.)

Please let me know if you have any problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Hello everyone,

after reading some recent posts from people whose ADOM installs refused to run anymore and were left clueless about it, I decided to write a quick batch file to fix that.

If when you want to run the Windows port of 1.2.0+, it flashes for a split-second then closes, run the attached .bat to make it work again. (Versions 1.1.1 and below store their settings in the same directory as the executable, so you only have to delete the adom.prc file inside adom_dat.)

Please let me know if you have any problems.
    You guys are awesome... Seriously, this has to be one of the best game communities in existence (if not the best).

Question about the bat file - will using it remedy the whole "your game progress is permanently gone because the computer turned off while you were playing it" issue?
    I need a shorter sig.

There is no way to recover your in-progress savegame in the event of a crash. If you have a backup, you can play that. Otherwise, your game is lost forever.

The server has an automatic backup functionality if you don't want to fiddle with this yourself.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thanks for the batch file. The next prerelease will remove the need for the "adom.prc" file completely (see Issue 1275). Additionally I plan to improve the error message handling for Windows and OSX.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Quote Originally Posted by j.t View Post
    Additionally I plan to improve the error message handling for Windows and OSX.
    Another pitfall of the Windows port is that it doesn't react to command-line parameters. What are your thoughts about making it a console application?
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    What are your thoughts about making it a console application?
    It's still on my list of things to investigate. Might be not that much of a problem...
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

That batch file didn't work for me (Windows XP, 1.2.0p3); not sure why, the code seemed very straightforward. Instead I did a windows file search for adom.prc, it was located under a couple levels of hidden directories.

c:\documents and settings\(user name)\local settings\application data\adom\adom_dat\adom.prc

Local Settings and Application Data are both Hidden folders.

I vaguely recall that there was a way to prevent a window from closing immediately before you get a chance to read the error message, but poking around on the properties tab, I can't find that option. Maybe it was only available for shortcuts or DOS stuff? Not important anyhow.

Stupid power outages. Stupid hurricane Sandy! Stupid me for playing on a non-laptop during a hurricane.

That's weird. I set the batch to pause before closing, so that you can see what happened. I suppose you could try opening a command prompt window, then using cd to change to the directory it's on, then run it.
    "And light there be!"