Thread: Damage from stone block trap?

Default Damage from stone block trap?

I (sadly) got killed by a door's stone block trap, which took me from 20 (out of 91) hp to -29 hp, despite 20 PV. (level 6 unremarkable dungeon)

Does the stone block trap do that much damage, or does it bypass armor?

YASD, or just bad luck.

I'm guessing it was just a really big stone block.

An interesting read:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=758
    "And light there be!"

Traps scale up in damage depending on danger level, I think, and the Unremarkable Dungeon has a fairly high danger level. You tend to notice traps less as the game goes on because characters tend do scale in HP faster than the traps scale in damage - the trap could not have killed you at full health, which is why having full health is generally to be preferred. (Don't always get a choice, of course!)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

He is saying it did 20+29+20=69 damage. Seems alot. Which version were you playing?
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    He is saying it did 20+29+20=69 damage. Seems alot. Which version were you playing?
    1.2.0 p4.
    I also was unsure if a door trap ignored armor or not. (would have died with armor anyway, but -9 is less humiliating than -29.)
    And yes, full health is to be advised. Was trying to get out through the bottom, rather than the top, being THAT dungeon.

I can only see 49 damage, plus whatever the helmet protected him from. Non-helmet PV does not work against stone block traps, as per Jochen in anon123's link. At 20 total PV, the helmet probably had 3 PV tops, so 52. A bad roll on a rather high danger level seems plausible enough.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I can only see 49 damage, plus whatever the helmet protected him from. Non-helmet PV does not work against stone block traps, as per Jochen in anon123's link. At 20 total PV, the helmet probably had 3 PV tops, so 52. A bad roll on a rather high danger level seems plausible enough.
    So Iron skin, which my character possessed, would not help? Nor other toughness or corruption based PV.
    May I at least find it odd that your foot based armor helps you from monster bites, regardless of where they get you. Whereas falling rocks only have to cope with helmet based armor.

I suppose that's the way it goes. But still more damage than I have ever seen from a stone block trap. Wanted to be sure it was not a 1.2.0 p4 bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    May I at least find it odd that your foot based armor helps you from monster bites, regardless of where they get you.
    "The orc punches through your armor and hits you. Your amulet of protection +2 is damaged."

*shrugs*
    "And light there be!"