Thread: A Beastfighters lament

Default A Beastfighters lament

So I'm feeling pretty good, not over-confident or anything, but pretty good cause I'm heading down the CoC and found like 3 vaults and just reached the Si level (The Big room had stairways essentially adjacent to each other). So I take like 2 steps and I see a horde of ghosts just coming at me through all the walls. I switch to very defensive and I'm thinking I can maybe power through them if they can't hit me. I was kind of right, one got a lucky hit, but nothing serious. I break out my wand of cold from the Druid quest and used it, but I thought "Hey, might want to save this just in case." I wasn't expecting to really get out of this unscathed, but hopefully intact, so I try one of my other wands. It asked me to invest PP into my wand shot. I was like "Okay, sure, wand of far slaying, read about this." So I invest all I got - only 24 PP. I've heard bad things about it, didn;t expect miracles. It bounced like 4 times and killed my guy (and some ghosts). I am upset because he was promising in my eyes, but it happens and I learned my lesson. Btw, whats the best way to deal with something like a pressure room of ghosts?

Invis and/or stair-dancing is best way to deal w/ ghosts if you can't handle them.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-the-red View Post
    I break out my wand of cold from the Druid quest and used it, but I thought "Hey, might want to save this just in case."
    You shouldn't have. ADOM would have probably put a river in the next level, but wands can be recharged, whereas PCs can't be resurrected.
    "And light there be!"

@SirTheta: Is that like stair hopping? And how does that help?
    @Anon123: Valid point. Thank you.

you are only ever fighting a few ghosts at a time if you do it right

lure a few ghosts to stairs, head up, kill; head down, bring some more up; rinse, and repeat. stair dancing.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Ah, much thanks to both of you.