Thread: New players,needs desperatly your help.

Default New players,needs desperatly your help.

Ok i installed ADOM some days ago i am still trying to figure how to play it,after some days i found out adom II exists,at this point i got some questions,IS ADOM 2 complete game ?Which version is the latest ? I couldnt figure it out please help me ill be glad.And is there any place that i can get live chat help when i got questions?

ADOM II is not a complete game. ADOM 1 is though. What sort of difficulties are you having when you try to play it? Pressing the '?' button ingame might help you out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    ADOM II is not a complete game. ADOM 1 is though. What sort of difficulties are you having when you try to play it? Pressing the '?' button ingame might help you out alot.
    Thanks for your reply mate
    Well even tho i read some information about game i feel like im doing wrong sometimes.For adom 1 i usually start dwarf weapon smith or fighter and i always end up dead in dungeons since my hp goes under 0.Do you know a way to heal yourself or any rest option avalible? And for quests where do you find the required bosses in dungeons the deepest level?All skills are useful?And how would i know if the enemy i face is really strong and i should run ?

Try a dwarven paladin - they start a bit tougher, with better armour, and have the healing skill which means they regenerate HP quicker over time. You can wait around until healed with w5. You can also find healing potions, but they're not all that common. Best thing really is to not take damage in the first place, which is wear good armour comes in handy. PV directly blocks damage from physical attacks, whilst DV makes blows avoid you altogether.

Early game bosses or quest aims are at the bottom of dungeons usually. Later on the main dungeon is huge and contains various locations at different depths, so you'll find yourself going up and down a few times.

Skills are useful, but most are passive. Read up about them in the manual to get some sense of their value. A few like Woodcraft are not a priority, whilst others like Two Weapon Combat are only for very special build set-ups.

You kinda get to know how dangerous enemies are over time. Make liberal use of the 'l'ook command. Keep an eye on your HP during each fight to see how much they're damaging you. When on low HP you can switch to Coward tactics (F7) to get a speed and defence boost whilst running away. Just don't stick on Coward during battles.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Some advice for surviving the early game, apart from what Grey said:

- If you want to maximise your chances of surviving, don't go to the dungeon labelled "a small cave entry". Even though it's close to the game's starting point, it's a difficult place. It's easier to start with the quests you obtain from the village elder or from the druid in Terinyo.

- Try to use armour that maximises PV (damage protection) over DV (attack deflection/avoidance). DV is important later, but in the early game, PV is one of the main things that improve your character's survivability. If you manage to get to 9-10 PV, the early game will be rather easy (at least when you know the monsters in detail).

- It's usually easier to survive the early game with a weapon+shield combo (shields give DV and PV) than with a two-handed weapon, unless you use certain classes or find a really awesome two-handed weapon.

- When trying on new weapons or armour, be conservative because they can be cursed. Once you know what items are more or less good, try only those. It doesn't make much sense in general to try a club, a whip or a leather armor, since most of those aren't good, and it would be a problem to be stuck with them due to a curse. Once you find a decent weapon/armor, stick with it until you have ways to ID or detect curses (then you can try others to see if they're better).

- Be especially careful with gauntlets (i.e. don't try them if you can't identify them). They can be gauntlets of peace which can screw up your game badly. With other wearable items (rings, helmets, cloaks, etc.) there typically isn't so much of a problem, there are some "evil" ones but nothing so terrible, so it's usually worth it to try some until you get a decent one (or a curse).

- If you see a tough monster, use whatever missile weapon you have (bows and crossbows are better, but thrown rocks are fine in the early game) to wear it down before it gets to attack you. Don't hesitate to flee if things get too tough, you can always take revenge later. When you flee, set the Coward tactic (F7) to get increased speed if your HP is low.

- Try not to carry too many items (i.e. not be Burdened, Strained, etc.) as that affects speed. (I say this but I never actually do it). The same goes for eating too much (Satiated, Bloated). Speed is very important to get out of tough situations.

- Spiders can poison you and that's dangerous in the early game. You can get poison resistance from eating a spider corpse.

- Other dangerous early-game monsters are ogre magi (can make themselves invisible and shoot frost bolts) and vortices (explode on touch). Be careful with them.

- If you take the quest from the village elder in Terinyo, there's a healer in the dungeon that can cure sickness and poison. This is very useful, especially to cure sickness which is typically lethal in the early game.

I think if you do all that you'll tend to live much longer.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 10-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.

I absolutely second the advice above, particularly regarding PV. Early-game PCs want as much of it as they can have.

A little more newbie advice from me:

If you're able to create darkness (usually from a scroll for a fighter type at this point), 80 percent of monsters can't see on it and won't fight back, while you're perfectly able to change tactics to Berserk (don't forget to switch back afterwards!) and smash them with your weapon. Even the very tough shopkeepers, which by the way you should never attack unless you know exactly what you're doing, can't see under darkness. Anyway, take advantage of this behavior before new versions alter it.

If you see a color-changing l, it's a karmic lizard. Never attack these in melee, as it lowers your luck. Use missiles or offensive wands. There are other karmic monsters too, but you won't see them until much later.

Always keep an eye in your HP and don't forget to run away if they're low (changing tactics to Coward in the process gives a movement speed bost). In ADOM, it pays off more to run for your life and come back later than to be a hero and die.

Quote Originally Posted by tionblack View Post
    And is there any place that i can get live chat help when i got questions?
    Try the IRC channel in freenode. I began frequenting it recently and it's a cool place where we're happy to help people with questions, and generally have fun. It's #adom in server irc.freenode.net, and you can go here if you don't have an IRC client installed.
    "And light there be!"