Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Random Creature Assigned my Thrundarr

What do you guys do when Thrundarr assigns you the quest? Because I always head directly down the CoC until I find the animated forest or DH, and I still think that there is a bias towards finding the random monster in the path...

Yesterday night, he assigned me a chaos brother. Not an overly uncommon monster, but not really very common, either. I cleared the level directly below Dwarftown, then I headed down to the next one. There was a lesser undead vault. And among the zombies and skeletons in the vault, there he was, a chaos brother. Piece of cake.

In the last two games I played it was the same, well, one didn't have too much merit because the creature was a giant rat, but the other was a staring eye and it was the first creature I saw after heading downstairs from Dwarftown.

Perhaps if you head down to the next levels of the CoC you get an increased chance to see the random monsters, but if you act in a different way you don't?

My current character got large rust monster.. In the end i had to pass DH and let Khelly die to find one and i think it was something like day 150 or so by that time

I usually dive aggressively from the arena to DT, go back up and fully explore levels, then hit the big room. Some of the quest mobs can be forced, though... chaos bros for example can be found in the wilderness.

yes, i usually dive to dwarftown and clean upper levels after quest assigned too.

Chaos brother? Pyramid road... No problem with wizzy.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I know chaos brother is easy to find if you go to the right place, but my point is that is not so easy to find in the dungeon, so finding it two levels below dwarftown (and always finding random creatures one or two levels below dwarftown in my last 4 games) makes me think that the RNG biases the generation of that monster in your favour, at least if you continue diving after hitting dwarftown, which is what I usually do.

Of course, as all random things, it's easy to make a misinterpretation without having proper data, so thoughts from people who keep diving after finding dwarftown (if there's any apart from me) would be useful...

Sounds very doubtful to me. Chaos brothers are extremely common.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Although I have at times felt this way too, my suspicion is to say that there probably isn't any real bias. Most of the monsters are pretty common, and, unless you're very over-leveled, are near the dungeon level of Dwarftown. So it shouldn't be that much of a surprise that you often find those monsters on levels near Dwarftown. It's also a monster that you're specifically looking for. Normally you don't pay much attention to specific monsters unless they're dangerous, annoying, or out of depth, so the fact that you might have seen a dozen chaos brothers already doesn't really cross your mind.

For awhile I was convinced that the RNG took pity on players with uncontrolled teleportitis and made blink dogs more likely to spawn. I now suspect that I just pay a lot more attention to them when they do...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Unhappy

I just got me a fomorian giant to slay but don't find one anywhere! Would anyone have ideas? I haven't encountered one whole game.. I'm currently lvl 18 dElf Beastfighter and cleared TotHK, pyramid, VDDL, upper DF, Gremlin Cave, UD, DD, Griffyard, PC, CoC all the way to the level before DH and i scummed ID down to level 20-something and nothing! in the ID i got teleport corruption and had no control so i got annoyed and left but explored every level back to the surface.. last time i had to go below DH thus getting another random monster quest and i don't want to do that again so can anyone help me!?

IIRC, they appear in forest squares in the wilderness.

For the random monster quests, you can't really beat chilling out in a cavernous level. Start off in the big room if your PC is a bit lame, then, once you have done the pyramid and griffyard, and if your quest is sufficiently unusual to have escaped completion, then keep moving up and down the TotHK cavernous levels.

Formian giants, shadow lords, vapour rats, and of course, lots of spiders, all will appear in the TotHK eventually, as will the handy ogre magi you have been waiting for in order to conserve your WoCold.