Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: my stupid newbie questions

1. Just know that your god really appreciates it, but in all honestly, unless you're a dwarf, don't worry too much about it.
    2. I've heard its always better to sell items and sac the gold. Except maybe certain artifacts.
    3. I don't understand what you're saying.
    4. Look in the monster appendix in the guidebook.
    Last edited by Eric-the-red; 11-24-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: have to look back
    Gates Closed: Ferr - Dark Elf Beastfighter

is it better to use gold to get to crowning gifts or are there other things to spend gold on? like training in dwarf town?

That's a dilemma everyone faces I think. Not sure if there is a right answer to that. I think it depends on your stats. If they suck, train them. If you feel pretty good about them, why not get a potentially powerful artifact that might save your ass?
    Gates Closed: Ferr - Dark Elf Beastfighter

I wouldn't risk playing doomed if I were you, you might die. Stats are worth nothing if you are dead.

Sac the gold and the stoma, anything to get rid of doom.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    1. i read the wiki, manual, and guidebook. how much gold do you need to sacrifice to gain piety?
    also, the guidebook isn't clear on high value items. as a drakeling, instruments are high value and get a modifier of 4. does that mean piety onyl goes up by 4 if i offer them? not sure what that means?
    i see that blessed stomafilia give +300.
    No, it means the sacrifice is worth four times as much as it'd be if you weren't a drakeling. For instruments, I think it's still not much. Gold or stomafillia are the most valuable items you can sacrifice. 100000gp is equal to 100 blessed stomafillias, to make a rough equivalence.

2. is it better to offer the 'si' or sell and then offer gold? i dont think i have alot of piety right now. says not very pious. i have 16 blessed stomafilia. so that will take me 4800. walking around with doomed is rough. do to bad monster spawns. i am also cursed.
    Just sell it and offer the gold. If you were lawful or chaotic, you could use dooming to your advantage with a coaligned altar outside DT - the intrinsic increases monster generation, so you can wait around an altar and sacrifice anything that comes around until your piety is very high and dooming is removed. Neutrals can do this too in principle, but many monsters (particularly animals) are neutral, and you can't sacrifice them.

3. when i look at this chart for conversion possibilities for sacrificing monsters: http://adomgb.sweb.cz/adomgb-0-2.html#023
    i see that a neutral PC on a neutral altar will end up in 'fight' if i sacrifice a lawful or chaotic monster? What is it fighting? we are both neutral?
    "Fight" means two gods will fight over control of the altar, but I'm not sure what the GB means with that - I thought neutrals could sacrifice C and L monsters on a coaligned altar without trouble?

4. how do i tell a monsters alignment? I know most mosnters are chaotic. but what about dwarves in dwarf town?
    Just look them up in the monster index. The Know Alignment spell exists also. Paladins have a class power that gives this information just by 'l'ooking at monsters, at a certain level.
    Last edited by anon123; 11-24-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: item generation -> monster generation
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Neutrals can do this too in principle, but many monsters (particularly animals) are neutral, and you can't sacrifice them.
    You mean shouldn't.
    Learn to learn.

True.

Neutral deities don't like it when you sacrifice neutral monsters, but they still take them when 'O'ffered.
    "And light there be!"

so should i use my gold to get to crowning early? spend to get stats? or what? not sure what to use gold for.

Quote Originally Posted by gosos View Post
    so should i use my gold to get to crowning early? spend to get stats? or what? not sure what to use gold for.
    IMHO, the best use of gold is to learn skills from Yergius (the head of the thieves guild in Lawenilothehl).

I usually just sacrifice it. Not necessarily for a crowning; a piety buffer is reassuring too.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.