Thread: Develop a roguelike from scratch

Threaded View

Default Develop a roguelike from scratch

Hi, I am intending to develop a roguelike from scratch in MS VS C++ , unsure of whether to go with a win32 app or console poject but considering I love adom well I would appreciate any advice you can give on getting started, I have read lots of theory but I really need to see an example of say a rougelike gameloop in main, I have ideas and could put something together but I really want to complete something this time hence dont want to just code thrash and end up 3/4 the way through having to do massive re-writes.

My main hurdle would be how to do AI, and exactly in code how to draw the dungeon on screen?

All I am interested in at the momment is building a single 4 * 4 dungeon with 1 player and 1 monster, the player and monster have a viewing distance fixed viewing distance, when the moster sees the player the monster attacks.

So then I have to consider timing of attacks, how is this done?

I figure also have a player and monster class , player has attributes which I can code later but I just want to set fixed values to start with an see if I can code simplistic combat and ai, basically start small, simple and build incrementally after testing.

I just compiled and succesfully ran the angband source and after looking at its numerous API hooks etc its made me not so keen to go with a windows32 app

N.B I have been to roguebasin but I need a barebones piece of code that is well written, clean , small as hell and well commented if possible, plus any advice any of you can give

I dont want to use LUA or Ncurses so no libraries or scripting languages as I am determined to nail various areas I lacked in coding and I figure a text game is a good way to go, I did write some direct X newbie code away back and bought a directx book which I read lots of, so I understand the complexities involved, I mention this because I in essence crash coursed direct3d however I realise that I need to get so many fundemental concepts nailed that I need to start small and with text only(I also concur that this is no easy option )

Thanks all!

Heres a link to another forum post I created, I am just going around the differant communities forr thoughts and ideas as well as trying to pull resources as I want to ty some stuff out tommorow but I need as good a start as I can get to stand a hope in hells chance which is why I am asking

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...6784f18f7b8a2#

Just as an "aside" Is there a beta test program for jade or something similiar? Just curious but not wanting to derail the thread
    Last edited by foxfire29; 05-31-2009 at 05:37 PM.