Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relative item rarity

Default Relative item rarity

Adding new items to the game can have the undesirable side effect of making all items relatively more rare.

This can be prevented by categorizing item drops. For example, any time an item is generated, the game first rolls for category, 10% weapon, 10% armor, 10% food, etc. and only after that, rolls for the specific item. In that case, adding a dozen new types of weapon will raise the rarity of each preexisting weapon, but will have no effect on the relative rarity of armors, food, or anything else.

Is this already how it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post

Is this already how it's done?
    From what I understand each item has "weight" than stuff is rolled. Some stuff like large rations has like 100 more chance to be generated than eternium gear [or maybe bit less]. There is no "weight" for categories as far as I know.

I used to have fished out from internet item dump version with mentioned weights unlisted, which got fried with my old disk. Still should be obtainable via good google-foo.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Giving the amount of items already in a game, I don't think it will make much difference.

Example 4900 vs 5000. 1/4900=0.002048 vs 0.0002

Very crude example, I agree.

edit-I'm not suggesting there is 4900 items and that each has a 1/4900 chance of being generated.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 11-22-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Giving the amount of items already in a game, I don't think it will make much difference.

Example 4900 vs 5000. 1/4900=0.002048 vs 0.0002

Very crude example, I agree.

edit-I'm not suggesting there is 4900 items and that each has a 1/4900 chance of being generated.
    On other hand if there is 10 items in the game and 190 gets added - It goes from 1/10 to 1/200 to gen.

I'm not suggesting there is 10 items and that each has a 1/10 chance of being generated, but honestly could not stop myself from posting this, lol
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

As far as I know, this is the last one. So, I think 696 items.

ring of karmic absorption (=, scratched ring) (Me:+0,1d1+0) (Ms:+0,1d1+0) [+0, +1] (1s) [ring] (gold) DL9(50) #696

EDIT: the (50) is the probability of the item being genned, the same as a wand of wishing.
    Last edited by gut; 11-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

to cut it short, apart from statistic, item generation is inversely proportional to your needs. Seriously, it would be clever to increase dropping and generation rate as well, for the sake of balance.
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    697, 0 offset and see ./adom -D.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by ilsekko View Post
    Seriously, it would be clever to increase dropping and generation rate as well
    Take the Treasure Hunter talent and pickpocket the hell out of every humanoid you see?
    "And light there be!"

yeah, for the sake of balance! Though me's not so fond of treasure hunting and the likes...me likes the bashing!
    you can't wake up who's pretending to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Okay, let's put the trolling away for sec.

If one would like to evaluate change in item y generation he needs:
    - to know items y weight - let's call it x
    - to know sum of weights for all 696 or so items - cal it a
    - to know sum of weights for all new items - call it b.

Rather clearly previous chance was x/a and new is x/[a+b] -- so differential is x/a - x/[a+b]. In other words you need someone to dive a nose into new code before any numbers start matter.
    Last edited by Soirana; 11-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.