Thread: Sacrifice item, or sell item and sacrifice gold

Default Sacrifice item, or sell item and sacrifice gold

I would love to see some conclusive research on this topic. I couldn't find any on these forums (my search-fu is weak and ineffectual). Can anyone point me to it? If there isn't any, perhaps I can help somehow.

Specifically:

If the goal is to raise piety by getting rid of an item, then which method results in greater piety gain:
    1. Sacrifice the item
    2. Sell the item to a shopkeeper for gold, then sacrifice that gold

Clearly the answer depends very much on the character's ability to get a good price in a shop. So the shopkeeper's racial prejudice is the largest factor, and we need to know the character's race, gender, and charisma / appearance. Potentially the haggling skill would come into play as well.

Simply stated, selling an item to a shop results in the receipt of gold to the tune of X percent of the item's value. Sacrificing an item on an altar results in the receipt of piety to the tune of Y percent of the item's value. X is fairly well known and depends on the previously stated variables. What about Y?

The guidebook says Y is known for gold (.32 / coin, .48 for dwarves), but gives no clue for other items.

I'm not sure if piety given depends on price of item at all.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post
    Sacrificing an item on an altar results in the receipt of piety to the tune of Y percent of the item's value.
    No?

Food is wide believed to give piety on satiation value and pots work same i believe - blessed pot of potential toughness is worth 600ish piety points [aka like 2 blessed stomas] for example.
    some other stuff acts rather weirdly from what i can scramble in notes eternium dagger is worth like 5 piety points ad ring of djinni is less than twenty [although ring absorption is like 5], but these score like really good in most shops. Which is why all that racial gift shit is not working either unless you are hurthling or dwarf.

Bottom line unless it is food you like always are better at selling stuff cause gods nearly always calculate prices like you were delven and they there dwarves or worse.
    Last edited by Soirana; 11-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I always sell and sac the gold. With artifacts it might be worth doing it the other way, especially if you are a Dark Elf or Orc, but my impression has always been that gold almost always works out better.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I think the one exception is perhaps an orc saccing artifact weapons?

Although more to the point, why choose if you can do both? Sell, kill the shopkeeper and then sac both the item and the gold is what I normally do.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 11-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I second this ^
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I don't usually kill shopkeepers, unless I start with Darkness and a bolt spell, and really want some quick xp early on... the guys give me money for my trash items (which due to my packratting nature, I gather quickly and in great amounts), and might (just might) restock with something nice.

I would like to make it clear that I only let them live because their services are advantageous to me. Thank you.

PS: if I ever win a game again I'm totally petrifying every shoppie generated and leaving the Chain with their statues, as they will have become useless to me by them. Waldenbrook... racist bastard.
    "And light there be!"