Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "This area is shook by some great force!"

Default "This area is shook by some great force!"

Farming the AF again, locked in my cube, w5ing with Recovery = 500:

The monster detection revealed 1 ghul, 1 ratling, and 97 trees.

Note that the blocked ant message is 'The whole dungeon level seems to be shaking.'

Any idea what "This area is shook by some great force!" means? This thread is about to be the only Google result for it.

Version 1.2.0p4. I am deaf.
    Last edited by Alucard; 11-27-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

My guess is that a monster triggered a fireball trap. Since you couldn't hear the distant ka-boom, you felt the rumble from the resulting explosion.

(I never saw this message before, so if I'm correct, allow me to praise the level of detail in this game once more...)
    "And light there be!"

Isn't it 'shaken'? Or is my English that crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Isn't it 'shaken'? Or is my English that crap?
    I wondered the same thing; apparently "shook" is acceptable as a past participle, albeit nonstandard...
    "And light there be!"

Is that on a prerelease? Maybe it's a new message and that's why Google didn't have it yet?

what is 'Definition:' ?

were you about to change config parameters via := command? Not that it makes much difference.
    Maybe it was:
    - vortex exploding outside? the monster detect wouldn't have picked it up if it already exploded.
    - earth orb in tool slot and you accidentally hit 'u' ?
    - earthquake spell or wand fired off accidentally?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Definitely a special deaf message - there are a tonne of interesting alternative descriptions of things for the deaf or blind. Hmm, I wonder if there are special messages for those who are deaf and blind...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Yes, 1.2.0p4.

"Definition:" was me actually changing Recovery.

Earth orb was long since gotten rid of.
    Didn't cast or zap Earthquake. I had w5'd.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

It seems to be in 1.1.1. From the result of 'strings' it looks like it's related to booby-trapped door (not magical explosion).

Man, reading this was always fun. I've just learned you can dig ice and bridges with pickaxes (at least it looks like it).

Edit: about blind and deaf and level of details in ADoM from strings again. I should probably stop and resume working.

wish for money while blind - "You hear the sound of tingling gold pieces!"
    wish for money while blind and death - "Many small but hard pieces rain down upon you!"
    Last edited by _Ln_; 11-28-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Man, reading this was always fun. I've just learned you can dig ice and bridges with pickaxes (at least it looks like it).
    If you have not dug ice in piranha lake than learning does not count. Result is actually not that intuitive either.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)