Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre ToEF wish

I was neither doomed nor cursed in my two sojourns that resulted in fp blankets burning up quite fast.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    behold, the power of dooming
    cept i wasn't doomed or cursed. Though iirc i wasn't intrinsically fate smiles, only had the ankh.

that is what I meant, people. If you had been doomed, those blankets would have lasted forever.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    If you had been doomed, those blankets would have lasted forever.
    That was fixed in 1.2.0p1

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=119

Also, wrt luck affecting fireproof blankets, the guidebook says "The actual Luck roll is 1dGoodLuck-1 + BadLuck" and also "Fireproof blanket is destroyed if 5/15/100 B/U/C + (GoodLuck-BadLuck) * 10 >=1d1000".

We can assume that the bug fix changed it to "5/15/100 B/U/C + (BadLuck - GoodLuck) * 10 >=1d1000"

But even if your BadLuck is zero because you are neither cursed nor doomed, your GoodLuck isn't really equal to your GoodLuck, it's 1d(GoodLuck) - 1. So no amount of Lucky or Fate Smiles Upon You or Ankh wearing will ever make your blankets fully immune to fire.
    Last edited by Pim; 12-05-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: extra thoughts from the guidebook

Rings of ice are good, but sadly fill your screen with spam every two steps, and having to press Enter all the time is annoying. So for the ToEF I like to have a few blessed fireproof blankets (which seldom burn away for me, I guess I'm lucky) and spend as little time as possible inside to begin with. Although fully clearing the temple can be tempting...
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I was neither doomed nor cursed in my two sojourns that resulted in fp blankets burning up quite fast.
    Do you bless them?

Yes, absolutely. Plus the Thrundarr ones are pre-blessed, which was one of the times. Guess he thought it would be funny to give me shoddy equipment.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Default Math for blessed fireproof blankets

TLDR: With lucky, fate smiles, and the ankh, there's still a 50% chance that after 2500 turns in the ToEF, you have lost one or more blessed fireproof blankets.

If we believe the equations presented in the guidebook, then here are some values, for blessed fireproof blankets.

Not lucky at all (GoodLuck = 0)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 138 turns
    10% chance that your blanket survived after 459 turns

Lucky, Fate Smiles Upon You intrinsics; or, wearing ankh but no intrinsics (GoodLuck = 9)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 1247 turns
    10% chance that your blanket survived after 4144 turns

Lucky, Fate Smile Upon You intrinsics, and also wearing ankh (GoodLuck = 18)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 2495 turns
    10% chance that your blanket survived after 8288 turns

Lucky, Fate Smile Upon You intrinsics, and also wearing ankh and ring of luck (GoodLuck = 20)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 2772 turns
    10% chance that your blanket survived after 9209 turns

It might also be helpful to reinterpret "chance that your blanket survived" as "100 percent minus the chance that you lost one or more blankets." As you can see it is not unusual for blankets to burn up in fewer than 2000 turns, even at higher luck values.

Doubling your luck doubles the expected longevity of your blanket, in a manner of speaking. Still, there is a non-zero chance that you will lose a blanket every single turn. (That chance is .005/GoodLuck, or .005 if GoodLuck = 0).

If anyone would like to check my math, it is based on this equation:
    If 5 - (1d(GoodLuck)-1)*10 >= 1d1000 then destroy a blessed fireproof blanket.
    Meaning there is a 1 in GoodLuck chance that the luck roll will be 1, leaving a 5 in 1000 chance for destruction. Giving a probability of destruction every turn p = 5/1000/GoodLuck; at the most common luck value = 18, the probability of survival every turn 1-p = .99972222....

So if Y is the event of losing a blanket happening with probability p every turn, then P(Y=0) after x turns = (1-p)^x
    And then we plug in some values for P(Y=0), and solve for x.
    P(Y=0) = (1-p)^x
    ln P(Y=0) = x ln (1-p)
    x = ln P(Y=0) / ln (1-p)
    x = ln P(Y=0) / ln (1-5/1000/GoodLuck)

...again with the special case that if GoodLuck = 0, it is the same as if it were 1.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Rings of ice are good, but sadly fill your screen with spam every two steps, and having to press Enter all the time is annoying. So for the ToEF I like to have a few blessed fireproof blankets (which seldom burn away for me, I guess I'm lucky) and spend as little time as possible inside to begin with. Although fully clearing the temple can be tempting...
    I know for sure there's a way to suppress all those annoying messages, using either ADOM Sage or editing adom.cfg , but cannot for the life of me remember how. Back in the server days, I remember just copying sorear's settings and getting on with it, since that solved the issues. Can anyone help with this?

I know that Sage can do it, but I play the Windows port because it's the most fluid in this computer, so it's a non-option for me. But I suppose adding this under :suppress in sage.msg would do it.

Code:
    The air is extremely hot!
    The air on this level is searingly hot!
    Your equipment is protected from the fire by a thin sheet of ice emanating from your hands.
    You feel a cool breeze for a second.
    Maybe these two, if you're okay with not seeing them outside the ToEF as well:

Code:
    You resist the searing flames.
    You withstand the searing flames.
    If editing adom.cfg can skip the spam, I don't know how (but would be very happy to find out!).
    Last edited by anon123; 12-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "And light there be!"