Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre ToEF wish

Default Pre ToEF wish

What do you prefer to wish except for Khelavaster's life and treasure?
    You got a second wish, what would you choose?
    According to the guidebook and collective forum wisdom, nicer one is RDSM or SLB. And '=Fire mail' is preferable because of the future ToEF run.
    On the other hand, main source of death ray resistance in early-mid game is SMW. Never tried to face ACW w/o the resist btw.
    Sadly, nobody is able to wear both AMW and any other armor, even if it is so shiny and needful as =Fire one. Isn't it better to wish for a crown of fire? That +5 PV isn't that much for a tru morgia addict. As wisard/archer one may just take Sword of Nonack, but there are at least some other classes in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

The ancient chaos wyrm doesn't cast death rays. Unless you're unlucky enough to spawn a ki-rin or emperor lich in a mixed tension room, death ray resistance is completely superfluous in the Tower. The recommendation for red dragon scale mails is made because it both protects from fire and has high PV, though if you have sufficient resistances and other armor of similar PV, I don't think it's worth a wish. If I remember right, crowns of fire had the unfortunate quirk of not being themselves immune to fire.
    Last edited by Silfir; 12-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

With Kelly being saved already, seven league boots are what I'd spend the second wish on, due to the well-known speed advantages.

If you want an alternate source of fire immunity, try rings of elemental mastery. They give =Fire =Cold =Elec, and use a slot for which you're unlikely to have anything better at this point. Items that grant immunity alone aren't protected from those elements, but the elemental gauntlets take care of this. It's a wish that doesn't seem to get much love

You don't need death ray resistance for the ACW, by the way. What he fires are energy bolts, not death rays. You can't resist them, but yes dodge with Alertness and high speed. They can be very damaging though, try to have HP over 200.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrather View Post
    What do you prefer to wish except for Khelavaster's life and treasure?
    You got a second wish, what would you choose?
    According to the guidebook and collective forum wisdom, nicer one is RDSM or SLB. And '=Fire mail' is preferable because of the future ToEF run.
    On the other hand, main source of death ray resistance in early-mid game is SMW. Never tried to face ACW w/o the resist btw.
    Sadly, nobody is able to wear both AMW and any other armor, even if it is so shiny and needful as =Fire one. Isn't it better to wish for a crown of fire? That +5 PV isn't that much for a tru morgia addict. As wisard/archer one may just take Sword of Nonack, but there are at least some other classes in the game.
    Depends a lot on your equipment and level. Personally, I would only consider RDSM if I get the wish quite early in the game--well before Khelly--where I can get a lot out of the PV bonus early, and even then, I'd probably prefer eternium tower sheilds. I never have any trouble getting enough fire resistance for the tower to need to use a wish on an immunity. On 1.1.1 characters, ancient karmic wyrm is a good wish if you have the right resources to kill it for XP. Not sure if it's still terribly worthwhile in 1.2.0+.

For casters, I'd normally be tempted by spellbooks of acid ball/rain of sorrows. Especially for divine casters--ball spells are extremely rare. Even for wizards, if you haven't gotten lucky or spend many hours stairhopping, there's a decent chance you won't have all that much acid ball so it might be worth it.

Although I haven't done it much myself, for melee PCs, there is a good case to be made for going for a banshee wish for BugWil rewards if you're in need of any of those types of items.

For general play, 7lbs are always a good bet, though admittedly they aren't terribly useful in the Tower. For a barbarian/beastie/monk who doesn't need 7lbs... would have to think about it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'd wish for food preservation or find weakness if I don't have one. If I have both, I'd wish for Detect Item Status.
    After that...
    SLB, Crowns of regeneration (unless I have Crown of Leadership), bracers of regeneration (unless I have BoW).
    Swords of sharpness, daggers of death, phase daggers. (In very rare cases when my best weapon is orcish spear).
    Spellbooks... If I am that unlucky, maybe, they fit too.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    On 1.1.1 characters, ancient karmic wyrm is a good wish if you have the right resources to kill it for XP. Not sure if it's still terribly worthwhile in 1.2.0+.
    If you take off your source(s) of +SeeI before delivering the final bolt, it's just as effective. Now, if you have it as an intrinsic...

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Swords of sharpness, daggers of death, phase daggers. (In very rare cases when my best weapon is orcish spear).
    Wishing for weapons feels like a waste to me; you're bound to find upgrades as gameplay progresses, Big Punch is guaranteed, and Darkforge might have something good.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Wishing for weapons feels like a waste to me; you're bound to find upgrades as gameplay progresses, Big Punch is guaranteed, and Darkforge might have something good.
    I said, in very rare cases. I, personally, never wished for weapons. But anything can happen.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.

If going for an ultra, I'd keep the wish for scroll of danger or anything else that turns out to be hard to find.

I wouldn't wish for swords of sharpness, but I might wish for phase daggers in some circumstances. Wands of paralyzation can be a good wish too. Or rings of weakness, yes I know, that's a horrible exploit, kill me.

Oh, and magical writing sets can be good. If archer, fletchery sets is tempting too.

Rings of regeneration aren't bad either if you lack that.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Pairs of seven league books
    Spellbooks of Acid Ball
    Spellbooks of Strength of Atlas (yeah, I'm a packrat)
    Eternium tower shields
    Scrolls of chaos resistance (maybe not very useful in the early game, but they will be later on)
    Potions of cure corruption (can be used on the ACW too)
    Rings of elemental mastery
    Find weakness
    Wands of paralyzation

Years ago I used to wish for RDSM, but now I think it's mostly not worth it. As JellySlayer says, it's usually easy to get enough fire resistance for the ToEF; and in the course of the game it's common to find lots of good body armor.

In my last game I found 4 or 5 dragon scale mails of various colors, and several eternium plate mails, but I didn't see a single eternium tower shield (not that I needed it because I was a monk, but anyway... they seem to be rather uncommon).

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Pairs of seven league books
    That would indeed be awesome.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.