Thread: What do people think about being able to resume tasks?

Default What do people think about being able to resume tasks?

Would it be reasonable to be able to resume working on long-term tasks after being interrupted? Spellbooks I can see having some reason to require committing sections to memory in one sitting, and cooking in the real world can't really be put down and then picked up again an hour later, but for most other multi-round actions I can think of (cutting down a tree, building a bridge, smithing, crafting arrows), it would be perfectly realistic to be able to come back to after taking a break. Most bridges and swords in the real world, for example, take weeks of work that are presumably not all consecutive hours and don't undo all their progress if the builder takes a lunchbreak (or fights for his life). Being able to resume work on a project would eliminate one of the more potentially exasperating factors of life in Ancardia- what do people think? Would this be helpful or is being a few rounds from a [+6,+5] shield when a doppelganger shows up part of ADOM's charm?

I agree with your logic, but I propose a compromise: if you're interupted during 'interruptable' (I bet that's not a word...) tasks, you're not back at the beginning, but say, halfway of where you were before the interruption. So we keep some of the charming frustration, but also some of the progress. Also (or alternatively?), with crafting tasks I'd much increase the chance of a botch and/or reduce the quality of the endresult with each interruption.

It also makes sense: you need to find the right angle again, get back in your rythm, reheat the forge, etc.

Complementary idea: a controlled interruption. An action where you take five turns or so to neatly take a break, avoiding the above penalties. You could do this for example if you get hungry, or something like a rat is bothering you, or a very slow enemy approaches.

I like it.