Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Default Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Community,

In light of the two points below, I wish to call for someone or someones to step up as the Guidebook maintainer and fork or update the Guidebook for 1.2.0.

(1) I e-mailed Andy Williams asking about the license for the Guidebook. He replied, "You can consider it public domain at this point. I can't see myself doing further work on it."

(2) Nevermind Chaos Knights, Mist Elves, new items, fixed bugs .. over the past week there have been a brazillian tweaks to how ADOM has worked for a decade (see: harder temples, change in how stat potentials rise, and all the scumming methods that got nerfed for just three examples.

So the guidebook is getting increasingly inaccurate, and getting started on updating it before 1.2.0 is final anyway is a good idea. Also, I don't volunteer because I don't want to take on the additional responsibility of maintaining the guidebook, and I find documentation boring (though necessary) anyway.

I recommend that whoever tries this uses source control, and I further recommend using git and pushing the repo to GitHub, in the open source spirit, and so I can just point to it in my ADOM Server git repo.

Regards,
    Alucard
    Last edited by Alucard; 12-12-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Just a thought, but if the guidebook is to be considered public domain, how about converting it into a wiki? That way, it can be maintained more efficiently with all the changes that are happening at the moment.

There is already an ancardia wiki. It might be more productive to simply the Guidebook into something of that nature.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There is already an ancardia wiki. It might be more productive to simply the Guidebook into something of that nature.
    I know of the ancardia wiki. But what I meant was that the information in the guidebook should be put into wiki format (with all the inter-article links, etc, that come with that format) - whether it's better off within the ancardia wiki or a dedicated guidebook wiki is entirely debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    I know of the ancardia wiki. But what I meant was that the information in the guidebook should be put into wiki format (with all the inter-article links, etc, that come with that format) - whether it's better off within the ancardia wiki or a dedicated guidebook wiki is entirely debatable.
    What really pisses me off in the ancardia wiki, are the ads. Guidebook has no ads. I can try and set up mediawiki on my server, without ads (and for free), and port (at least part of) the guidebook there (Christmas break is coming ). Adom gave me so much fun in the past 10 years that it might be time for me to give back a little. If the community, of course, agrees to that.
    Last edited by sorrow; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typos

It would be insane to try to turn this into yet another ADOM document at this point. The horrible format of the Guidebook -- which predates the popularity of wikis, so I'm not blaming Andy Williams for it (but seriously, dude? The sections don't even link back to the TOC) -- needs to go. We already have a wiki. Let's just use that and let God sort it out. Please don't try to start another competing project. If the Guidebook is public domain, than people can just shove it right on into ancardia.wikia.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Exy View Post
    . If the Guidebook is public domain, than people can just shove it right on into ancardia.wikia.com.
    It is tougher than you think. Back in the day that wiki has started and I did some job on it, we had permission to use factual data [like spreadsheets ad so on] from guidebook. Don't think it changed in last four years or so.

So "shoving" won't straight happen cause:
    a) good deal is shoved in
    b) wiki and guidebook are vastly different style so lots of overhauling are needed.

I wish you [not personally, but all you] best luck on that.

On top there is eternal question what you do with code revealed data with no research done on. Put in, leave it it out. Put in but mark somehow....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    What really pisses me off in the ancardia wiki, are the ads.
    What really pisses me, adds there not quarter that bad than wiki has started.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I vote to burn the lot.
    Learn to learn.

I also think that a wiki is way more convenient than a static HTML document. When the Guidebook was created, of course static HTML was the way to go, but right now I see no advantage in keeping that format, apart from the fact that it's already done.

Installing a wiki on a server is rather easy. I installed one (Dokuwiki) some years ago for an open source project of mine.

Back then I found Dokuwiki especially useful because you can dump the content to a static HTML (even to a PDF, but that's ugly) and use it online. I don't know if Mediawiki does that. For ADOM, it would be interesting to use a wiki that did, IMHO.