Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

It's all a matter of getting the information across, as a starting point. So perhaps people who are willing to do so can each be assigned certain content, and we can work together to get it started. Once the information from the guidebook has been ported over, we can let wiki-magic handle everything else.

And while I do like the idea of having a more "static" source for offline use, etc, I don't think simple automated compiling is the way to go, because it fails to actually guide the user.

Perhaps the wiki could have information on things on regular pages, and then have a "Guide" section that provides more linear information, designed more like wikibooks than wikipedia.

Doing it as a wiki (with searching and cross linking) would be fine, but preferably not with ads, and I'd still want a way to download an offline copy.

The IGB includes a lot of code-dived info and an improved interface, but it tends to cause controversy so I don't suggest that as a starting point.

If anyone's thinking about it, don't wait, just do. Actions speak louder than words. If multiple people start making an effort, just combine with them
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Doing it as a wiki (with searching and cross linking) would be fine, but preferably not with ads, and I'd still want a way to download an offline copy.

The IGB includes a lot of code-dived info and an improved interface, but it tends to cause controversy so I don't suggest that as a starting point.

If anyone's thinking about it, don't wait, just do. Actions speak louder than words. If multiple people start making an effort, just combine with them
    Perhaps we could use the ancardia wiki as a starting point. If the ads become a real problem, the information can be moved over to a new wiki, manually if necessary.

I'm happy to start doing it, but I think an agreement on what is being done is better than just doing it and hoping people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    Perhaps we could use the ancardia wiki as a starting point. If the ads become a real problem, the information can be moved over to a new wiki, manually if necessary.
    I'm happy to start doing it, but I think an agreement on what is being done is better than just doing it and hoping people like it.
    A copy of ancardia wiki (except the starting page, which perhaps can be organised a bit differently?) without the ads is available at my server. Up to the community to use it or not. If not, I will take it down, no problem.

Very cool. Does mediawiki have any plugins for generating an offline copy?

So "shoving" won't straight happen cause:
    a) good deal is shoved in
    b) wiki and guidebook are vastly different style so lots of overhauling are needed.

I wish you [not personally, but all you] best luck on that.
    Both of those issues are solved exactly by the one great strength of being a wiki: many contributors working on it simultaneously.

...what you do with code revealed data .... Put in, leave it it out. Put in but mark somehow....
    Also, that type of data is increasingly inaccurate, since the code is now changing (for the first time in 10 years, blah blah blah). Since the creator has stated he doesn't like it, and most people who are motivated to contribute to the greater good are also motivated to abide by the creator's wishes, code dived data will most likely not appear (and/or be removed by other wiki editors).

...don't like advertisements...
    Get an ad blocker. You have many choices. Personally, I'm fond of Firefox with NoScript.
    That is a simpler solution, imho, than duplicating an entire wiki and/or trying to redirect every living being on the planet to a new, different wiki site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post
    Both of those issues are solved exactly by the one great strength of being a wiki: many contributors working on it simultaneously.
    If that many will need second hand fingers to count I will be deeply shocked. Well again I am rather cynical towards human nature.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I vote for using the IGB. I do already anyway, and our contributions always wind up there regardless of what our preferences are, why not embrace the inevitable?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I vote for using the IGB. I do already anyway, and our contributions always wind up there regardless of what our preferences are, why not embrace the inevitable?
    Totally agreed...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'd be happy to contribute with porting the Guidebook to a/the wiki. I already have an account on the "official" one (Anon123-adom) and have edited and written a few articles. Plus, like sorrow, I currently have more free time than usual for this sort of activities.

However, Al-Khwarizmi and Alucard raise a valid point. Doing this would centralize the information on a resource that requires an Internet connection to be accessed. And no, not everyone has a fast and stable link available everywhere they go. In that regard, the GB wins, because you were always able to download a full copy for offline reading. Though this concern would be largely eliminated if regular backups were served to the public.

By the way, does the Ancardia wiki currently have an active administrator? One that could block accounts and remove articles? Because otherwise, a spam attack could leave it useless.
    "And light there be!"