Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Pim View Post
    Get an ad blocker. You have many choices. Personally, I'm fond of Firefox with NoScript.
    That is a simpler solution, imho, than duplicating an entire wiki and/or trying to redirect every living being on the planet to a new, different wiki site.
    I agree with the rest of the things you said, but not this. You cannot expect everyone to install an ad blocker. And ad blockers aren't always a good solution. For example, in most mobile OSes ad blockers are currently far from good, and even if you get a good one, your phone is going to download the ads anyway (even if you don't see them) spending your bandwith.

As one of those living beings on the planet, I would prefer to go to a new wiki without ads, rather than to the same one with ads. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Very cool. Does mediawiki have any plugins for generating an offline copy?
    It is possible to extract articles into XML file, from which you can create anything. So I assume someone somewhere did a plugin or a simple script at least to convert that XML to pdf/html. If there is a script, it can be automated and its results can be public, no problem. If a plugin, well, then anyone can make a copy of everything at any time. But I have not done any research on that.

Sorrow's rapid copying of the old wiki makes me think that "duplicating an entire wiki" is not the technical hurdle I thought it would be. Also, redirecting everyone "to a new, different wiki site" is irrelevant, if he can also regularly import changes from the old one into the new one. (Although ... that sounds like it might generate some inconsistencies.)

I suspect, with no evidence whatsoever, that the percentage of people who cannot install ad blockers is lower than the percentage of people who choose not to install ad blockers but still whine about ads.

Some of us don't want to block all ads (some ads pay for the upkeep of their sites, sites that may have good, free content) but want to block annoying ads. Of course, ad blockers can be configured to do this, but it takes time. So yes, we still whine about annoying ads, because we want to keep viewing ads, while not viewing annoying ads, while not spending much of our time

Also, some of us regularly surf the internet from 7-8 different computers a day, some of which are not under our control (although maybe this is not very typical).

If the IGB is to be copied I hope the wiki maintainers give the info a good going over for inaccuracies.

What I'd love to see is a wiki system like Wikipedia's, where articles can be referenced to research for accuracy checks and things can be flagged as uncertain.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If the IGB is to be copied I hope the wiki maintainers give the info a good going over for inaccuracies.

What I'd love to see is a wiki system like Wikipedia's, where articles can be referenced to research for accuracy checks and things can be flagged as uncertain.
    You don't suspect problem is... well, having research articles in first place?

Raise your hands who actively researched and posted clear statisticaly reliable results about ADOm....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

"duplicating an entire wiki" is not the technical hurdle I thought it would be
    Just a matter of exporting and importing. Getting a list of all articles is more problematic, if the number goes into thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim
    Also, redirecting everyone "to a new, different wiki site" is irrelevant, if he can also regularly import changes from the old one into the new one
    If the community uses one site, redirecting everyone is pointless - everyone will know what is the "proper" one. Even if it is IGB, though that would (just in my opinion) not be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim
    I suspect, with no evidence whatsoever, that the percentage of people who cannot install ad blockers is lower than the percentage of people who choose not to install ad blockers but still whine about ads.
    That is because the ads, especially flash, are evil IMHO, installing adblocker prevents from the effects of the problem, but does not cure it. But this is very off-topic, so I just stop here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    You don't suspect problem is... well, having research articles in first place?

Raise your hands who actively researched and posted clear statisticaly reliable results about ADOm....
    *Raises hand*

I even made a graph for one of them.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Raise your hands who actively researched and posted clear statistically reliable results about ADOM
    Raise your hand if you think that using out of game methods (save scumming, memory editors, etc) to generate statistically valid results about ADOM is morally equivalent to code diving?

I start to raise my hand, but put it back down, and give it more thought. Is there already a consensus on this topic?

Raise your hand if you think that using out of game methods (save scumming, memory editors, etc) to generate statistically valid results about ADOM is morally equivalent to code diving?

I start to raise my hand, but put it back down, and give it more thought. Is there already a consensus on this topic?
    Personally I have no problem with code diving, dissection or whatever. Consequently I don't give a damn if they are equivalent or not.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)