Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Hi Community,
    this is just to inform you I'm still alive Glad to see that Mr. Williams has finally given up his copyright bullshit. I guess now I can remove all references and links to his old, crappy GB from the IGB. What do you think?
    As for the wiki vs guidebook debate, IMO the guidebook style has its advantages, especially since there is generally more info on one page, and one can read it like a book. Though I like and watch the wiki development, it seriously lacks completness, and indeed, accurate code-dived info.
    As for the new ADOM development, I would like it documented too of course, but we lack competent code divers working on it. Until 1.2 version of the game is released to the public (and not just chosen few), the IGB will stay relative to 1.1.1.

The IGB: http://adomgb.sweb.cz

Hi IGB, thanks for your efforts. And thanks to Mr. Williams too. Finding y'alls guidebooks is what inspired me to pick up ADOM again after many years.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    I guess now I can remove all references and links to his old, crappy GB from the IGB. What do you think?
    I think that would be great. Those references were far too prevalent and served very little purpose, imho.

Also, if I may suggest, on the landing page at http://adomgb.sweb.cz, it would be user-friendly if there were a large link to the improved guidebook at the very top, instead of only a tiny abbreviated link at the very bottom.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    this is just to inform you I'm still alive Glad to see that Mr. Williams has finally given up his copyright bullshit. I guess now I can remove all references and links to his old, crappy GB from the IGB. What do you think?
    I think you're unnecessarily being a rude dick, but I guess that's nothing new.

Keeping it on 1.1.1 for now seems a bit pointless. Is anyone playing it any more? But development is too hard to keep pace with for now...

And relying on code-dived information has proven treacherous in the past. Please consider putting more weight on in-game testing.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Obvious trolling is obvious?
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Most people on the server still play 1.1.1.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I think you're unnecessarily being a rude dick, but I guess that's nothing new.
    All I said was that copyright indeed is a bullshit, as the whole idea. I will hold this opinion, though you may disagree. I fail to see how is this being rude. Perhaps you don't like the word I used, but that is to describe the concept, it fits perfectly and I don't know any better word.
    Please Darren, don't act like a troll - I didn't come to start flames.

Pim, thanks for your suggestions.
    _Ln_, thanks for early pointing out Darren's trolling.

I was more annoyed by your reference to the "old, crappy GB". You based your entire work on it. Your site still looks exactly like it. Same structure, same pictures, a huge amount of the same text. So why call it crappy? Unless you want to be unnecessarily rude.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

To be fair, there are no laws against being a colossal dick.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

How about being a tiny dick?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Anyone code-diving and spoiling others are dicks.
    Learn to learn.