Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Call for a Guidebook maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    During all that time, Pavel has (although sometimes a tad sporadically) had
    his own special philosophy: "Never give a rat's tail about copyrights, never
    give a rat's tail about code dived info, and never become disinterested for
    very long." Since we know the formula that works, I see little reason to
    change it.
    Personally from what I have ever played in my life ADOM is like the only game there game advice/info was ever considered to be under copyright. All credits to that practice goes to Mr. Andy Williams I guess.
    In all others it goes as "you don't want to get stuff copied and used you don't post it" type of license.

It is also like one of very few who divide known info into clean/unclean. In Civ4 for example code reading goes left and right [code is rather easy to read at least surface parts]
    does not seem to be much of trouble for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    Just a side question, then: under what license is the text on these forums released? Am I allowed to use the knowledge found here (attributed, of course), or not? Or should I ask each and every member of the forums on that?
    Under best traditions of ADOM i guarantee that any posts of mine/blogs of mine/ guides of mine are under copyright which you are not permitted to use.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Not to belabor the point, and I really don't have a horse in
    the race, but for comparison, here are a couple of links to
    show some differences between wiki's and web sites. The first
    link is from a highly energetic fellow I chatted to about a
    month or so ago on IRC. It will demonstrate what results can
    normally be expected from new ADOM wiki's. Notice the ads at
    the bottom (and maybe elsewhere). Notice the slow slow load
    time of the page. Notice the way the pages are created, with
    the intention of filling in content (or hoping others will do
    that) later. Ads, slowness, sherking off 'content work', these
    things just kill wiki's. Sorear's/twinge's 'it is law' one
    died due to spammers (1000's). The known wikia one is too slow
    and ad-infested to comfortably use. Here is QuantumBeep's:
    http://drakalor.wikia.com/wiki/Wiki_Content
    EDIT: OK, the load times on those aren't too bad after all. I have
    had trouble in the past though.

Now compare that to my "Let's Play ADOM" free web site that has
    been up since the early 1970's. Notice the load times of the
    pages. Notice that there are zero ads. I didn't even pick this
    hosting site because it was noted for being good or easy or even
    reputably stable, but rather because it let me sign up without
    enabling java script
    http://plog.atspace.com/

There are much better hosting sites out there that will even
    allow for much more fun stuffs than just LP's or guidebook
    links. We have amongst our numbers some quite talented
    people who could implement interactive maps (already done,
    btw), maybe quizzes, all kinds of stuff that wiki's prolly
    wouldn't/couldn't allow (dunno for sure about that, as I am
    not a wiki master).
    Last edited by gut; 12-14-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I don't really mind about having code-dived info or not, I'll be fine with whatever the majority thinks. I try not to use code-dived info but if other people want to use it, that's their choice.

But whatever you do, please, no copyright. A license like the one of the current wiki is fine. Copyright is a very harsh limitation for this kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    Just a side question, then: under what license is the text on these forums released? Am I allowed to use the knowledge found here (attributed, of course), or not? Or should I ask each and every member of the forums on that?
    That's a good question. When you register for an account here, part of the agreement says the following: "All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of ADOM & JADE Forums, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message." Although that sounds more of a legal safeguard, rather than a refusal from the forum owners to claim a license over whatever is posted here.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, anyone is free to use anything I write here, without having to credit me if not desired.
    "And light there be!"

So, has a decision been made on which wiki to work with? Whether to allow certain types of other information, and whether to transition to another format later, are things that we can keep discussing, while we work on moving the information from the Guidebook (not the IGB, for the time being) into the wiki format and updating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Under best traditions of ADOM i guarantee that any posts of mine/blogs of mine/ guides of mine are under copyright which you are not permitted to use.
    However, the question he asked has two parts: one about text, one about knowledge. Now, I'm not a legal expert, but as far as I can tell, knowledge cannot be copyrighted, while text can -- so he should be able to still use your facts as long as he doesn't use your text.
    Last edited by mike3; 12-15-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
    However, the question he asked has two parts: one about text, one about knowledge. Now, I'm not a legal expert, but as far as I can tell, knowledge cannot be copyrighted, while text can -- so he should be able to still use your facts as long as he doesn't use your text.
    Really? I've heard whole patent system we currently use says strictly otherwise.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Really? I've heard whole patent system we currently use says strictly otherwise.
    Patents prevent you from profiting from someone else's idea. They don't prevent the free dissemination of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn View Post
    Patents prevent you from profiting from someone else's idea. They don't prevent the free dissemination of information.
    Well, maybe patent is not correct in english terminology. But last time I checked Intelectual property included "discoveries and inventions"...

Putting in another words if you do believe the whole story how Pavel infringed Andy's rights with IGB, you might as well believe in my property on info you would not have otherwise.

If as gut said "never give a rat's tail about" it, than I guess you never give rat's tail about my opinion either.

Both are perfectly fine from my position.

AFAIK facts cannot be copyrighted, however certain presentations of facts can be. This is why there are multiple encyclopedias.