Thread: YASD in DH1...

Default YASD in DH1...

So, this is also my first post ever, though I've been lurking for several years... Additional background, I've played adom for years, beat it once with a lightly savescummed GE archer. Since then I've been playing without any savescumming... Today, my stupidity bit me harder than it ever has before...

At any rate, no flg here or anything like that... It would have been rather uninteresting anyway.

I had a very promising drakeling wizard (my favorite combo) who had found a few nice items, including a ring of elemental mastery (first I've ever seen), a ring of see invisible (also the first I've ever seen), and an invisibility cloak that got destroyed due to carelessness around a black baby dragon.

But none of that mattered. I was level 19 after pyramid / griffyard, and was working on the quest to seek past the forest. I know fully about the dangers of the DH's, but for some masochistic reason, I prefer to go through them anyway. Nine times out of ten, I have no trouble whatsoever.

This time... I incorrectly guessed at which room would contain a down staircase after a single casting of magic map, and managed to teleport directly into the ONLY empty square in a tension room full of titans.

For once, I have a death that I cannot in any way blame on the RNG. Strangely enough, I found the experience funny, and almost cathartic.

Ouch. That's really unlucky.

I always try to take the DH route, but I usually read/zap a monster detection item. Especially if I sense a certain tension.

yeah that's the thing... I only spent like three turns on the level before my hilarious death. And during those three turns, I didn't generate any "certain tension" or "THUMB!!!" messages.

Yeah, some sort of monster detection would have been wise. But seeing as how this is just one of many characters with immense potential that have died in stupid ways in the dwarven halls, I'm going to plan on skipping them more often from now on. Of course, that plan may change by the time I get there on another character anyway...