Thread: Literacy in Library?

Default Literacy in Library?

Hi folks,

A have a minor but very pertinent (to me!) question:

If you don't already have Literacy, does completing the Library quest give it to you? Or do you have to have at least a little bit of Literacy for the librarian to raise it to 100?

I'm playing a ratling CK, currently L18, who's been illiterate the whole game. I just entered the Rift.

Thanks!
    Ben

You need to have at least one point into the skill, then it will raise it to 100.

Drat! Thanks for the answer, I guess I'll hang in the rift a little while hoping to meet some dark sages.

Just checking.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-21-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    Learn to learn.

Yes, I'm good to go.

Chaos knights are a real challenge!

I'm happy to say that Chris' advice was wrong. I never found a corpse, so went to the library anyway to gain a couple of levels, and lo and behold I came out of there with Literacy=100!

And that saved my bacon, because by then I was extremely corrupted. I was able to run back to D1 and read the three scrolls of chaos corruption I had found in various places, bringing me back down to a healthy 70% corruption. Then I read lots of books, and I'm ready for the ToEF with Nether Bolt, Freezing Fury, and Rain of Sorrow among others.

Now I just have to deal with the fact that my base Str is 2 thanks to a potion of exchange I drank hoping for a potion of education... Thank Andor Drakon for the Full Plate Armor of terror and whatsit, and the library for books of Strength of Atlas! I think I can claw my way back from this setback.

I was so sure that it didn't grant Literacy. I'm happy to be wrong, though. Might be a relatively easy way to get Literacy if I don't have it by mid game and have no luck with corpses

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I was so sure that it didn't grant Literacy. I'm happy to be wrong, though. Might be a relatively easy way to get Literacy if I don't have it by mid game and have no luck with corpses
    I was also under the impression that the PC needed the skill prior to receiving the tome in order to get Literacy set to 100.
    Very interesting, I wonder whether this is intentional?
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-22-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Learn to learn.

I'm currently playing a literate Dwarven Ranger (got literacy from Thrundarr). Visiting the library with ~60 literacy, I received the weird tome from the librarian. But my literacy got boosted to 95 rather than 100.

I had an orc barbarian go from 58 to 87.