Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADOM beginner, have a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Qui View Post
    To be honest, lvl 3 dwarf barbarian shouldn't be really encountering trolls. Where exactly did you go? You want the dungeon to the south-east of the village for starters, not the one to north-west, which can be quite deadly. Alternatively, you descended too quickly. Make sure to explore a level, kill its inhabitants and collect their stuff before going deeper so that you're prepared.
    It was in the dungeon to the southeast of of the village. It looks like that same troll always shows up on the floor with the carpenter, so I guess I was just descending too fast.

I promise this is the last one: I am looking for the puppy in the dungeon to the northeast of the village. I killed an ant queen and explored the entire dungeon (even searching every room very thoroughly), but I saw no dog. Does this mean I cannot complete the quest?

Didn't you find the dog's corpse? It will allow you to complete the quest - unfortunately not with the optimal result. To save the dog, you have to reach the bottom level within four in-game days starting from character generation.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Didn't you find the dog's corpse? It will allow you to complete the quest - unfortunately not with the optimal result. To save the dog, you have to reach the bottom level within four in-game days starting from character generation.
    Seriously? That dungeon was hard - even with my level 9 character. I was fully-geared with expensive items (2k each at least) and I was almost killed by the queen. Thanks for the help though.

It is best to avoid the ants on PC:2 on the first run through, when possible
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Just to touch on a few points:

-Mining is boring and unnecessary, so give up your dreams of being a dwarven miner.
    -Knowing when to run is important, such as when faced with a troll that hits hard and regerates its wounds. You get a bonus running speed if you're on low health and on the Coward tactics setting.
    -Tactics settings are important - there are a range of them from Berserk (F1) to Coward (F7). Normal is F5. Most people use Very Aggressive when fighting in melee and Coward when wandering about or running away.
    -The puppy dungeon is an optional challenge, so don't feel like you need to beat it with every character. The puppy is found on the 6th level.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Tactics settings are really important, and a last-ditch attempt is if you're very near death, switch to Berserk and wail on the monster. Sometimes it won't work, but other times, you'll kill the monster before it kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcode_t View Post
    So, I have been playing the original ADOM for a few months now, but I have only become really interested this past week. The second ADOM looks amazing, but does not have as many classes and options as I feel it needs to. I'm sure that is already part of a heated-discussion so I will simply move on to the questions.

1. I have become quite attached to the dwarves recently due to their strength and the mining skill, but I have not actually been able to find a pickaxe, so I cannot actually do the mining. When and where can I get a pickaxe for early game?
    Dwarves are a good choice, but don't be afraid to branch out. Drakelings are another good choice--if you get in trouble, you can spit acid with the m button, though it does cost food, and they have similar starting stats to dwarves. In the early game, the most important stats are Toughness (To), Health (HP), and Protection (PV) and raw weapon damage.

2. A few classes are really appealing to me, such as the farmer and the mindcrafter, but I also want to try something different this week. The barbarian caught my eye, but how is it different from the fighter?
    Farmers and mindcrafters are quite hard to play. For best results, remove all your armor and switch to berserk (F1) tactics (seriously). You will get a massive bonus to your weapon damage. Once you pick up a couple pieces of decent armor, you can start re-equipping yourself again. Barbarians are a strong offence class; fighters are more defensively oriented. You might want to pick a class with the Healing skill early on, as it will make it easier to survive early fights. Dwarf or drakeling paladins are a good choice for solid defense + decent offense + healing skill.

3. I have never made it out of the starting valley because I cannot find the things the quests are talking about, I always starve to death before getting to the left edge, and I always get ambushed by wandering wizards near the river and can never escape. Any advice on how to ensure my character doesn't starve do death?
    Avoid the wilderness, you use food a lot faster there. Get in a dungeon quickly. From the starting town, there is a dungeon northwest (somewhat difficult), a dungeon closeby in the southeast (appears once you talk to the village elder or druid), a dungeon in the far southeast corner, and a dungeon in the northeast (appears once you talk to tiny girl). The Food Preservation skill will give you more corpses once you raise it above 60. Make this a priority if you're having food problems. Most corpses are safe to eat, though a few (notably kobolds) are quite harmful--you'll need to experiment a bit; corpses are a major food supply early on. Avoid being strained or burdened. These will greatly increase your food consumption. Once you get to the main dungeon (centre of the map), you can buy cooked lizards in large quantities that will pretty much solve your food problems for the rest of the game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcode_t View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    Seriously? That dungeon was hard - even with my level 9 character. I was fully-geared with expensive items (2k each at least) and I was almost killed by the queen.
    Now you're getting the picture of this particular quest.
    "And light there be!"

If you feel you are gonna die, you have 2 options.

1) Set your tactics to coward (F7) and run away--you run faster in coward if you are severely damaged
    2)Set your tactics to berserker (F1) and hope the damage increase will help you kill him

In the future, try training you missile weapons as early as possible (even if just throwing rocks, or using a sling). Any free damage on enemies before they walk up to you is useful