Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First win - Ratling Duelist

I don't know about too strong. They're definitely strong That's a tough character you played. Good stats and equipment. Congrats on your first win!
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Oh, I completely misread before: congratulations on your first win, as well, Mekran! That's very exciting, and definitely something to be proud of any way you look at it (especially since it's on a melee class).

I'm not sure duelists are overpowered (as a melee class). Sometimes classes just mesh with people's playing styles, other times they don't (stupid Barbarians). Of course, I haven't made it to CoC yet with my ratling duelist, so I could be completely wrong
    I did feel the start of a duelist was pretty difficult (lack of shield leveling ability makes it tough). I chose candle for the regeneration boost, and with preserver, a blessed ring of regeneration, and maxed healing skill, late game I was packing some incredible regeneration. I only actually used one prayer for healing (during the bug clearing), the other one I prayed at the altar after draining the darkforge pools because I wasn't sure if I had to pray to have my deity remove dooming/cursing. I barely found any spenseweed/pepper petals, and I had a lot of healing potions that I never used (although sometimes I probably should have, dropping sub-100 hp several times killing the bugs).

Late game when you spend something like 300 or 350 energy on a melee attack that probably has around 40-50% chance to crit, you start to feel a little unstoppable .

Oh: One more story of mild interest: doing the arena to get golden gladius, I encountered a cat, and didn't have any potions of exchange, or wands of trap creation. I did have the cursed scythe though. So I transformed random potions in my inventory into potions of raw chaos and threw them at the cat to transform it, then swapped to coward tactics and used the wand of fireballs to kill the writhing mass of primal chaos.
    Last edited by Mekran; 01-08-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Add some more congratulations from me for your first win. Bonus points for doing it with one of the new R/C combos.

the other one I prayed at the altar after draining the darkforge pools because I wasn't sure if I had to pray to have my deity remove dooming/cursing.
    You can pray to remove cursing and dooming if you're very close to your deity, but that eats a good chunk of piety, so it's more efficient to reach the nearest altar and sacrifice 1gp.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Add some more congratulations from me for your first win. Bonus points for doing it with one of the new R/C combos.

You can pray to remove cursing and dooming if you're very close to your deity, but that eats a good chunk of piety, so it's more efficient to reach the nearest altar and sacrifice 1gp.
    Ah, did not know that. I sacrificed 10k gold at an altar first, but figured I would pray just to be sure. Most games I skip pools because I have such bad luck with them, but in this case I was really desperate to get some corruption removed.

I don't usually drink from pools either, due to my bad luck. Only when there's one around and I'm on the verge of pressing Shift+Q.
    "And light there be!"

Congrats on first win, and major style points for being the first (posted, at least) winner with a duelist!

At this point, I used a blessed scroll of identification and realized that Preserver was in my inventory. I never saw any surges of power, so I guess a monster dropped it on death? I don't think I've ever seen that happen.
    Did you clear many lesser vaults on the way down? There's a fairly small chance (maybe 1 in 40ish) that a lesser vault will have a random artifact--there's no message or anything, it's just there.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There's a fairly small chance (maybe 1 in 40ish) that a lesser vault will have a random artifact--there's no message or anything, it's just there.
    There is? I thought any artifacts coming from lesser vaults were just random drops, which also explains the rarity. (I once got Preserver in PC: 6, never forgetting that.)
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    There is? I thought any artifacts coming from lesser vaults were just random drops, which also explains the rarity. (I once got Preserver in PC: 6, never forgetting that.)
    I thought the same. From where this info is?
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.