Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: The 'suggest a Greater Vault layout/monster combination' thread

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Implement panthers?
    Or better yet, chaos cat (purple f). Stronger than tigers, but much faster, with two corrupting attacks per round. Once a regular cat gets enough corruption, it is transformed into chaos cat (as it is with rats). The corpse should corrupt a little and, perhaps, increase Pe (cats see well in the dark) and/or speed. Of course, killing a chaos cat would still count as killing a cat and make Cat Lord angry.

How about a vault of death and decay:

Ghosts, green blobs, (large) rust monsters, chaos plague bearers, writhing masses of primal chaos, ghost king.

Or a vault of the woodlands:

Shambling mounds, fairy dragons, quickling lords, black unicorns, quickling queen

With both of these, I've tried to be thematic, have a range of different monster types and challenges, have a fittingly difficult top-tier monster.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    Or better yet, chaos cat (purple f). Stronger than tigers, but much faster, with two corrupting attacks per round. Once a regular cat gets enough corruption, it is transformed into chaos cat (as it is with rats). The corpse should corrupt a little and, perhaps, increase Pe (cats see well in the dark) and/or speed. Of course, killing a chaos cat would still count as killing a cat and make Cat Lord angry.
    and they would replicate, of course?

Saw lots of suggestions of elemental themed vaults earlier... what about one that contains grues and elementals of all elements, plus Ancient Karmic Wyrm as the final boss... that sounds pretty hardcore.

I also paged back once and saw a suggestion of a dark vault (creatures that see in the dark)...
    My related Idea had been a shadow vault... Shadow lords, slow shadows, etc, with a shadow wyrm as the boss...

Shadow wyrm is a pretty weak boss for a greater vault IMHO.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Shadow wyrm is a pretty weak boss for a greater vault IMHO.
    Is that weaker than what's in a Giant Vault?

That makes a pretty good standard for the low-end of vault difficulty...

What is the hardest stuff you get in a giant vault? Frost Giant Berserkers and maybe an Ogre Emperor?
    How do those stack up against a Shadow Wyrm? what about several shadow wyrms?

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    I think no GUV configurations has more than one emperor lich though, even the small room in the middle one, which has lich kings on all but one of the artifacts/gold as 'minor' bosses, and an emp lich in the middle of the room with another lich king. I think titan / greater titans are basically analogous.
    From my current game... Might try to clear with my duelist after closing the gate. D:46 is too corrupting for a GUV.

guv.jpg
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Word. I was clearly wrong.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Hmm, there's definitely 7 monster types in GUVs. The ranking seems to be (1 is boss, 7 the lowest rated monster):

1. emperor lich
    2. lich king
    3. master lich
    4. ghost lord
    5. vampire
    6. spectre
    7. ghost

I don't think anyone has yet made any detailed documentation on what monsters various greater vaults exactly contain.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Word. I was clearly wrong.
    I've only found a single greater vault of undead so far, which I skipped because confusion was a pure annoyance for my PC, recovering from a claw bug feast in BUGWL. He then proceeded to die a stupid death some time later, as all of them do.

Anyway, now I see what they mean when they say those are difficult. One dark L is already hell, let alone ten.
    "And light there be!"