Thread: Saving

Default Saving

I just discovered this intriguing game.
    The learning curve seems quite steep.
    I got 1 message by the tutorial at the beginning, but not afterwards.
    Dead after 15 minutes.
    How do I save the game without quitting it?
    How do I make a series of game saves, so that if I die, I can go back to a moment with enough health?

It all seems to be a bit confusing.

greetings
    Jered

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Jered View Post
    How do I save the game without quitting it?
    How do I make a series of game saves, so that if I die, I can go back to a moment with enough health?
    You don't. ADOM I and II are roguelike games, which are designed around the concept of permanent death: you only have one life and can't restore to earlier points (just like in real life). More analysis in this Roguebasin article: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...tle=Permadeath
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Thanks for your answer Laukku. Well, that's quite a challenge! But I'd like to take it up. Until now I've lost about 10 PC's. Last PC's I tried first to get as much experience by just fighting the battles coming up automatically on the highest level (jackals, hobglobins,...) in the hope of getting up enough levels, not to get killed right away when entering the level below. But I was killed in the fights anyway. So I am a bit at a loss. What's the best strategy not to get killed after half an hour of play? Can anyone give a few hints?

Firstly, I'd recommend playing the original ADOM instead; it's more complete and probably less frustrating too. If you need tips on the original you can ask in its forum, or if you're okay with being spoiled consult the guidebook (http://adomgb.sweb.cz/adomgb-toc.html) and wiki (http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki).

That said, here are some pointers for ADOM II:
    1. Play a Troll: their base stats are good enough to plow through early game threats, and their lategame hp is big enough to not get instakilled by a critical hit.
    2. Play a monk: disarm is good against weapon users, and throw can help defend against stat draining undead. Note that they lose some of their abilities when using non-light armor or when burdened.
    3. If you notice some of your class powers or items not functioning properly, save and restore to fix it.
    4. Athletics, find weakness, dodge, healing, tactics, survival, and fighting with two weapons (if you do fight with two weapons) - are the most useful skills.

If you have more specific questions on ADOM II, feel free to ask here

Thank you for your large answer Grond. I will follow your advice and start with Adom. i didn't realize that adomII is still in developement. Btw, no spoilers for me!
    thanks again.
    Jered