Thread: Cat Challenge

Default Cat Challenge

I don't know if anyone already thought about this (any way to effectively search for things in the forum?), but how about a cat challenge?
    Rules:
    Game is over when you killed the cat lord.
    Points are equal to like (40 + [cats killed])/[turns/500], where turns/500 is rounded down. Or any formula which gives bonus to fast ending and cats killed.
    Points get multiplied by 5 if you killed only cats
    Probably best to prohibit mountain walking too, against 'cave lion farming'.

I think this would be quite cool because a mindcrafter would probably do quite well. I hope magic users and archers can't get much points, that would be too easy :P
    I didn't try yet (and probably won't, no time ), but anyone else in for it?

Edit: thought about it again, a lot needs to be changed.

Indeed it would be better that pet kills don't count. Points would better be 100*[cat kills]/level, where level is your level, plus 1 for each 2000 turns played (against winning by walking around very long and killing only cats)
    Only killing cats and the cat lord is impossible, you need to have done the ToEF and Griff Bloodaxe to reach the cat lord.
    The cat lord himself counts for 5 cats, but you need to kill him yourself, also in order to win the game.

This means that you need to keep your level down, getting damage from other things. My first ideas are: spellcasters killing not much besides the ACW+Griff and having luck at them both plus the cat lord. Or a trollish bard, first letting his pet do the work and then killing the cat lord himself with some luck.
    Last edited by Moeba; 06-08-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Surely it'd be better if pet kills didn't count, as a bard could kill an infinite number of cats and still face a weak cat lord, whereas if the player character himself killed the cats the cat lord would scale into a truly epic fight?

Killing only cats and the Cat Lord certainly is possible. Killing the ACW with a pet is trickier, but you can teleport/order a pet to kill Thrundarr and handle the lever yourself.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    Killing only cats and the Cat Lord certainly is possible. Killing the ACW with a pet is trickier, but you can teleport/order a pet to kill Thrundarr and handle the lever yourself.
    Or even just teleport him away or confuse him or something.

Here's a wild idea. If you meet the cat lord, and then kill a cat, does he become stronger? If not... I guess a bard could tame every cat he comes across, generate the cat lord, go back, kill all cats, and then kill the not very strong cat lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Or even just teleport him away
    I said that already.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Hmm, I probably misunderstood it as "teleport a pet to kill Thrundarr" and didn't think about why that doesn't make sense. Disadvantages of fast reading.

oh that killing only cats was impossible first because there was standing (pet kills count as your kills) behind the cat kill bonus first, but I removed it in the edit