Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: TWL '09 Final: The League of ChAoS!

It's the same password for all the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    It's the same password for all the leagues.
    Oh. Well, um, anyway. I died!

26000: check some stuff. amazingly we have almost nothing identified; annhilator shows up before i resolve blink dog situation. hmm.
    26052: shield destroyed, down to 20 hp. surrounded by dogs again. I survive via [CLASSIFIED]
    26197: kill ochre jelly, swordsman for mithril warhammer; kill rat factory for corpses/ration, drop chain locate stairs
    26316: lightning lizard spawns behind me... close door, w5 until no longer satiated, descend
    26630: kill doppleganger, lvl13-> athletics, dodge, find weakness
    26680: get book, read: magic missile (read to death for 80 casting points)
    26800: hear slurping sound, running from shambling mound
    26871: take wrong turn until spiders, have to finish mound off with mm
    26924: use more mm (from hp) + arrows to kill delven princess; get uncursed ring of damage, pots of healing and water
    27139: dealt with spider factory, use webs to kill: hill orc, cave lizard, cave lion, ogre lord, eat g rat + black hurthling, close off room with mimic
    27251: more webs + bouncing mm on ogre lord no. 2, narrowly avoid sandwich with ratling duelist
    27279: kill duelist (gauntlets), hill orc sergeant
    27402: find brown worm infestation... luring them out and killing when shambling mound shows up. very scary
    27498: finish last worm, run back to 'known' territory into skeletal warrior; some dancing around on coward until mound arrives from behind me
    27557: manage to get around both, kill wolf and ghul to get out of corridor
    27616: catch sight of revenant, seem to locate stair room in a sandwich between troll and swordsman
    27638: turns out revenant's room was the stairs. whee
    27653: nope, stairs are in secret room, get hill orc sergeant between me and revenant and head back to webbed area (every door on this level has a SQUARE lock :|); kill ratling thief for potion
    27751: slurping sounds again, unable to kick-locate stairs in mimic's room; revenant, sergeant and giant slug come after me for flavor
    27814: trapped between slug and shambling mound; attempt to use blue gem, no dice
    27830: drink some potions, they suck; use up clw and attempt to teleport from reading book... reading was interrupted by getting killed

Columbo, the human paladin, was killed by a shambling mound.
    He scored 8696 points and advanced to level 13. (exp 88980)
    He survived for 0 years, 10 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes, and 55 seconds (27830 turns).

Oh yeah, and the stairs were actually under the mimic. Geeze. =P

Since you went downstairs, I guess this no longer counts as a trial situation. That's probably for the best, since the previous save was the one with the steel zombies. I probably won't match that kill list, so I'll have to go deeper or not get killed. I'll probably end up getting killed by the blink dogs instead.

I'm starting my turn soon. Or not, the save isn't up.

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Since you went downstairs, I guess this no longer counts as a trial situation.
    The way I understand it, if you were to die Epythic would get a chance to continue on from the same point as all of us. If he survived the round, he'd win, and the other rankings would be decided by depth/xp/turns. If he didn't survive, he'd be out, and the rest of us would revert to the previous save and play on.

That only applies if Epythic can be reasonably deemed to have created the trial situation. Since mike got down another level, he survived anything Epythic generated, and died to something he himself generated. So no trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    That only applies if Epythic can be reasonably deemed to have created the trial situation. Since mike got down another level, he survived anything Epythic generated, and died to something he himself generated. So no trial.
    WTF ??? I died!

[And I would really really like a trial. ]
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

From the rules thread.

Should it happen that players die in waves after one has finished his or her turn, he or she is suspected of having created an unsurvivable situation. There is only one chance to redeem oneself - Survival! Should this player surpass the challenge unwittingly or wittingly set by him or herself, he or she automatically becomes winner of the league by elimination. Should the character die or fail to descend one level, however, the offending player is cast to the Abyss; he or she's the weakest link - goodbye!
    It says 'is suspected', not 'may be suspected'. You could argue that the lack of food meh left us with made us rush through and get killed. I'm fairly sure it always applies, which is fair, as it ensures that players have to deal with any situation they create ('unwittingly or wittingly', as the rules clearly state). If meh created a winnable non-trial situation, he should be able to survive it and win, right?

If the above isn't true, then I suppose the game is over after the next turn regardless, which seems rather pointless and anti-climactic to me.
    Last edited by Covenant; 07-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    WTF ??? I died!

[And I would really really like a trial. ]
    Sorry, I assumed that you were the last surviving player since Covenant said you'd get to start from the same save.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant
    It says 'is suspected', not 'may be suspected'. You could argue that the lack of food meh left us with made us rush through and get killed. I'm fairly sure it always applies, which is fair, as it ensures that players have to deal with any situation they create ('unwittingly or wittingly', as the rules clearly state). If meh created a winnable non-trial situation, he should be able to survive it and win, right?

If the above isn't true, then I suppose the game is over after the next turn regardless, which seems rather pointless and anti-climactic to me.
    It's been stated previously in other leagues that it is only the situation generated by the to-be-abyssed player which must be survived. Say you generate a level, finish on it, and every player after you descends and dies to a randomly generated monster / trap / what have you on some dungeon level below there. It's hardly fair for YOU to be Abyssed for such a scenario, is it?

You could argue that it's a lack of food, but every player in the league has contributed to food usage, and meh did not intentionally leave you with a lack of food. But anyway, noone has died of starvation, so that's really a non issue.

Essentially, even if meh were to take the save and face a trial situation, he may survive the level he is on (as mike has done), and then fall to a trick of the RNG which was not previously generated. Alternately he could descend and then sit on the stairs until the end of his turn (which mike could have easily done also).

In short, though I have no say in the final decision of course, from precedent in other leagues I would say this does not qualify as a trial scenario.

Sorry, I assumed that you were the last surviving player since Covenant said you'd get to start from the same save.
    Indeed, that was my mistake. I meant meh.

It's been stated previously in other leagues that it is only the situation generated by the to-be-abyssed player which must be survived. Say you generate a level, finish on it, and every player after you descends and dies to a randomly generated monster / trap / what have you on some dungeon level below there. It's hardly fair for YOU to be Abyssed for such a scenario, is it?
    The point is that you would then play the level you generated, finish it (if you can), and then continue. If you manage to not die to a randomnly generated monster/trap/whatever then you win. If you die to such a thing, you're out. I don't see how that's any less fair than someone getting Abyssed because they accidentally generate an Emperor Lich tension room or anything like that?

Surely the winner of the entire contest should have to be decided by a victory, rather than just 'Okay, we all died, but A died quicker than B, who died quicker than C'. As I said above, it just seems anti-climactic to me. I was looking forward to watching a final two (I didn't expect to get that far myself, mind).

As you say though, it's for Silfir/Grey to decide, and if you're right about precedent it probably will occur as you said.

Conundrum is correct - there is no trial. A trial only comes into force when an unpassable situation is generated. mike has shown this situation is not unpassable. This has already been discussed several times during the competition.

As for anti-climactic... meh shall now take the final turn. If he dies on this level or the next then he shall be the final Weakest Link, and mike shall be reborn as the Lord of ChAoS. If meh descends and survives, or descends and scores more xp, or descends two levels, then he shall ascend as the new Lord. I anticipate an extremely tense turn...

meh, the save is now restored on the server. Go forward now to meet your fate. I'd appreciate it if you could give us all good notice of when you're going to play - this will be spectacular to spectate
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!