Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Threat/Tension Room Horror Stories

Default Threat/Tension Room Horror Stories

I think today I cleared one of the nastiest threat rooms I've ever had the misfortune of encountering. I was playing a doomed ranger, about level 20, exploring the area around the Banshee level. I open a door and find a dark room. I step into the threshold, and instantly get stat drained multiple times. I retreat, and suddenly greater fucking daemons start teleporting everywhere around me. I don't have controlled teleport myself, and while I'm somewhat fast (120ish speed), it doesn't exactly do much good when you're surrounded. I take a bunch of stat drains as I attempt to retreat to the stairs. Get trapped a couple times and need to use a wand of digging to open escape routes. Eventually get to the level above with a few daemons in tow. Kill these guys off with missiles. I decide that I might as well try to clear as many as I can, since I'm going to have to deal with them now or when I come back with the Fire Orb. So I use the stairs to pull a few at a time up and kill them with missiles above. Taking lots more stat drains. I killed about 16 or so before my St, To, and Dx were reduced to single digits and I needed to call it quits because I wasn't strong enough to kill them anymore. Spend 10 minutes doing herbs and St training, then went back and cleared the rest of the bastards. (Promptly died three levels down to a frost giant).

I can't decide if this was worse than the time I had to kill 45 minotaur mages on the Mana Temple level. On the one hand, that time I had nasty confusion problems to worry about. On the other hand, I was playing a caster, so I had more option to clear them. Still had about a 10 point stat loss across the board on that one.

Any one else got some memorable threat/tension room horror stories to share? What's the worst you've ever seen?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well, I haven't had it quite as bad as that. My worst was probably a tension room of white unicorns on one of my SIL dives while attempting OCG. During those days I tended to do the SIL dive at fairly low xl. So, those guys teleporting to next to me all the time, hitting very hard and regenerating was nightmarish.

Also once had a massive room of greater titans on MT, but luckily that CK was pretty buff(as all CKs at that stage of the game). Had plenty of human/giant slayers, but still had to use their eternium quarrels against them in the end.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-16-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Nothing beats an open threat room of quickling queens in the Scintillating Cave near the stairs (about 4 tiles from the nearest queen). An endgame PC with 500+ hp with good DV was near slaughtered from merely TPing on the stairs. The only thing that saved me (I descended with about 100ish hp) was unholy aura corruption as it is applied at monsters' move, not the PC's.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Umm, one early one springs to mind.

The smc, big tension room of blink dogs.
    All hostile.
    All summoning.
    Everywhere.
    Ill put something here later

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Any one else got some memorable threat/tension room horror stories to share? What's the worst you've ever seen?
    Worst - freaking black unicorns. Good thing that happened on temple [air probably] level so could fight few at a time.

Most memorable - threat [I think threat at least] room of Ki-rins. I think I simply used darkness to bash them into death, took massive hit on alignment.

One of my worst was an ancient white dragon threat room in a cavernous level - so obviously, we're talking like 40 here. I was a Drake Barb and I was very confident because I was invisible and had the AMW, so I was immune to cold. I was taking them out one at a time when I noticed that I was taking more damage as time went on. I sort of ignored it until things click and (queue face of pants-shitting horror) I switch the quick display to see I have a speed in the teens. I backed away and persevered, but ironically, I think this very Barb died to the Archmage because he tried melee'ing him in the middle of a bunch of monsters (no escape route), kept getting frozen, and then hit with death ray once per turn and eventually ran out of healing.

A mostly annoying one was a 4x5 room (or so) of skeletal kings in the mid-COC levels. It was basically right above a T corridor exiting from the stairs..and was already open. I didn't even see anything out of the ordinary before I was confronted with an ass-ton of skeletal warriors. I believe I wound up killing 200+ skeletal warriors before clearing out the skeletal kings.
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

I had a greater titan 5x6 tension room guarding the only path to down staircase to D48 once. The character somehow did not have means of teleportation and my only wand of digging had (0) charges and I was doomed...

Another time I had a ghost king open tension room in BDC with a ratling duelist, like in JellySlayer's case they were very close to the stairs. Luckily, I had enough stealth to pass by 4 times without being noticed.

The worst tension room that I ever had though, was in MT and I promptly died there AFTER getting the orb.
    It was a mixed tension room with greater molochs, quickling king, large rust monster, diamond golem, mimic hivemind and the like.
    There was an acid vortex there too.
    I didn't know the room was there (probably lost the "certain tension" among messages of eyes draining my PP) and then, for some stupid reason, I decided to dig out another exit from the mana temple, I accidentally dug the entire length of wall, releasing the monsters.
    Vortex, which was right next to me - explodes - quickling king panics when he gets hit by acid and hits me multiple times, then blocks off my path of exit.
    I realize that teleportation on MT level is disabled so I zap another tunnel but the large rust monster grabs my gauntlets of strength {St+5} and I become overencumbered.
    Mimic paralyzes me, moloch and dimond golem finish me off.
    Of course, I later realized there were many ways in which I could have played it differently and survived but fact remains that the tension room was far more dangerous than anything that MT threw at me.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 12-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I had a duelist go through a series of fun/tough/annoying threat rooms. Greater Molochs on the way to the mana temple, werewolf kings in a cavernous room a little above the branch... but the worst was the ancient karmic dragons on the earth temple level, blocking the way to the temple side of the map. No missiles, no magic, had to kill the things with a huge stack of booze and a wand of magic missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Nothing beats an open threat room of quickling queens in the Scintillating Cave near the stairs (about 4 tiles from the nearest queen).
    My worst was similar, only they were kings not queens. Didn't have unholy aura, they nearly killed me.

I also still have bad dreams about that time I had been w5'ing in the library to get the tome and then discovered Chaos Spawns had filled nearly the whole level.

Hmm.. actually the worst was probably when I got stuck between a threat room of ogre magi and a threat room of ice vortices with a low level character.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Not surprising, but the harshest room I've run into would have to be the room stuffed full of very experienced quickling queens on DH:2. No teleportation or anything. Ouch.

The moral is, if you're going to go DH (the Animated Forest is just way too tedious for my likings), go straight, directly through. DO NOT pass GO, DO NOT collect 200 gold.