Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SPOILERS] The new room in p10

Default [SPOILERS] The new room in p10

I haven't seen threads about this room so far, so I started a new one. I hope I didn't miss some thread or some posts (apart from those in the bug tracker, I mean).

The history so far (aka how it all started):
    TB actually introduced this special room in p9, in response to a suggestion, but a nasty bug got in the way until p10.

The message:
    When you enter a dungeon level that contains the special room, you receive the message "You feel a surge of pulsing power".

The room:
    A disconnected room, similar to royal vaults, but filled with monsters that guard an artifact instead of gold. I found one in UD5 and I took a screenshot after reading a scroll of magic mapping:

Code:
                   ############# ###################################   #########
                   #........./.# #...../...........................#   #.......#
                   #....>....#.###.....###.#######################.#####.......#
                   #.........#........./.......................................#
         ######### #######/#################.###################################
         #.......#       #.#               #.......#
         #.......#       #.#               #######.#####
         #.......#       #.#                     #.....#
         #.......#########.###########################.###   #############
         #.........................../........./.........#   #...........#
         #.......#########.###########.........#######.#.### #...........# #######
         #.......#       #.#         #.........#     #.....# #._..@......# #.....#
         #########   #####.#####     #.........#     ###.#.###...........# #.....#
                     #.........#     #.........#       #...../...........# #..(..#
                     #.......<.#     ###########       ################### #.....#
                     #.........#                                           #.....#
                     ###########                                           #######
    In my case, I found mummies, fire drakes, ratling master thieves, doppleganger lords, berserker lords, a white baby dragon and a lightning vortex, and a named doppleganger king on top of the artifact at the center of the room (the hammer of the gods).

I guess we need a name for this type of room. At first, I thought of "artifact vault", because of the similarity with royal vaults; however, we find artifacts in traditional vaults also. Maybe "artifact chamber"?

a named doppleganger king? ouch... what level were you at the time?

I was level 16 when I dug into the room (I had found it earlier when descending through the UD, but at the time I had no mean of digging, so I returned there just after doing the pyramid). I had it easy, though, because I found an altar in the same dungeon level, so I converted the altar to my alignment and I lured and sacrificed the monsters one at a time while invisible.

Thanks for this thread. It seems the danger level of both the monsters and artifact spawned within can be pretty high, as I recall someone else had one of these with Purifier in PC:2. With a greater daemon or unicorns, it could get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by TDau View Post
    I guess we need a name for this type of room. At first, I thought of "artifact vault", because of the similarity with royal vaults; however, we find artifacts in traditional vaults also. Maybe "artifact chamber"?
    What about simply "artifact room"?
    "And light there be!"

I love the name of one of the MAngband vaults that could fit here... Zoo of Concentrated Death
    You feel excited. You die.

Anyone else found one of these rooms? I have yet to do so, and I haven't seen them mentioned since this thread was created.
    "And light there be!"

Haven't found any of these either... even after getting five PCs to D:50, or nearly there, since prerelease 10 came out.
    I *have* found a couple of regular surges of power, though. Since this room was implemented due to a request to make surges of power more frequent, it would seem quite ironic if they ended up being even rarer than actual surges... =)
    Won with: Orcish Archer (1.1.1), Drakish Healer (1.2.0 pr11), Dark elven Necromancer (1.2.0 pr13), unarmed Ratling Monk (r57), Gnomish Beastfighter (r75)

I have taken some chaos knights through all the early game dungeons (after converting, and excepting the VD), Darkforge, DDL, TotHK, and of course CoC until Kelly's level inclusive. No artifact rooms (or surges of power) were found. I'm really looking forward to my first one, and I think these are doubly nice now that stomafillia precrownings were nerfed - but they seem to be so damn rare
    "And light there be!"

I haven't seen it either. It's somewhat strange, because in p9 there were several people reporting the bug that crashed the game when this room was generated... which seems to suggest that it wasn't so rare back then.

Maybe in some version the rarity was toned down, or even the room doesn't appear anymore? Has anyone seen it in prereleases greater than 10?

Edit: or maybe it's that they generate no special message so we are just skipping them without noticing? My characters typically don't have enough magic mapping...
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 05-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Now that you mention it, I did have a couple dungeon levels with suspiciously empty portions that I didn't bother to investigate further...
    "And light there be!"