Thread: ADOM II excited about crafting!

Default ADOM II excited about crafting!

Hi I just wanted to know if anyone out there is as excited about crafting as I am?
    As far as i know all items will be craftable, boomerangs, enchantments, walls, floors, ovens and spider bread! Well maybe not ovens and spider bread but a gnoll can dream eh?
    No forge? no problem! build one in your little smithy, as long as we don't get the first anvil problem like in dwarf fortress. (You need an anvil to make an anvil in df). This also means traps will make a lot more sense rather than digging a pit and covering it for a teleportation trap it may actually take a wand and a floor with a hole in it or something.
    I would totally play as a dark elf baker spending all my time baking spider bread but that's probably because I'm crazy like that.

Well, if I was a dark elf baker I would probably steer clear of spider bread; ADOM II has a strong anti-obesity message . Jokes aside, here are a few things I'd like to see from the crafting system(s):
    1. Dedicated crafting classes should be able to craft something useful right out of the gate. It's kind of lame if the only real benefit of being a smith in the early levels is that you are strong enough to carry around that massive anvil.
    2. Crafting simple things should be simple. If you need to find a pickax to mine ore, and then find a forge, hammer, and anvil to turn the ore into an ingot and then into arrowheads, and then use an ax to cut down a tree and process it into shafts, and then use a fletchery set to make iron-tipped arrows - then crafting just won't be worth it.
    3. Crafting should give fairly reliable results. Trying the same recipe over and over again for the best results is tedious, and part of the reason most people don't bother with smithing in ADOM.
    4. There should be some limiting factor to crafting. Being able to craft any item in the game could be fun, but being able to craft all the items you could possibly need is just about as boring as a wand of wishing with 99 charges.

As much as I like the idea of crafting, I haven't played around with it yet. Afaik, the main thing you can do right now is build a boat, at least if you first collect 500 planks and 1200 iron nails. If you then sink tons of skillpoints into sailing you may be able to cross water. Or you could just wear the earth orb and be done with it.. I think you can also pave floors, but no idea what use it has. Did I miss anything major?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

You can cut sling bullets out of rocks, and you can turn fire rubies into lava. If you got some arrowheads you might be able to use fletchery. So far I haven't been able to do anything with forges, maybe you need some ranks in smithing?

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    You can cut sling bullets out of rocks
    Rocks are easy to get but I've yet to find a sling. Too bad, this one sounded okay. I think smithing isn't implemented yet, but not sure.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.