Thread: Maximizing ADOM

Hybrid View

Default Maximizing ADOM

So, I've been playing for years. Years and years, like fifteen, come to think of it. Anyways, I've always played adom maximized, I find the symbols are a little too different, a little too small, and it ruins a lot of the feel of the game for me when it's in a window. Hasn't REALLy been an issue as, until I upgraded to Windows 7, I was always able to ALT+ENTER and maximize adom. Alas, with W7 that no longer seems to be the case. I've found a number of work-arounds (Dos-Box, dos emulators, dual boot windows xp/98, etc) but I would really like to just be able to start up the game and play, not restart my computer and boot up a different OS, so I was wondering if anyone else out there has run into this same problem of preference, and what you've done to fix it. Also, before I get the inevitable trolls, things like 'Don't use Windows 7/8/Vista' or 'use linux' or 'try a different OS' are not helpful. I know these are options, but they're not the options I want. This is a plea for help, as I'm genuinely stumped. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have, indeed, run into the same problem, and took an extended break from the game because of it - I love the look and feel of the DOS version and switching to windows XP first and then to windows 7 made it difficult to run the DOS version. These days I use DOSBox. It fixes the problem, doesn't require you to restart your computer, and has a fullscreen option. Do try it out. You don't have to give up on that lovely, beautifully colored DOS font.

In future versions, when NotEye is fully integrated, I believe you will be able to choose whatever font you like AND play fullscreen within the Windows version.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

For which I shall be thankful! Tell me, is there a way that you know of where I can create an shortcut which will cause dosbox to mount the appropriate 'drive' and then launch adom? This is more of a shortcut thing, as I'm incredibly lazy. So lazy, in fact, that I spend time trolling around forums looking for shortcuts so that I can be lazy in the future! Sometimes you gotta work hard to be lazy

You can run DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat from within the DOSBox program folder to edit the configuration file for DOSBox. Scroll all the way down to the end to find the [autoexec] section.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Alright, I'll try that later tonight

I used to use DOSBox, but now that the new versions of Windows ADOM allow for font size changes, I do the following. I set the font in adom.cfg (Font_Name, Font_Size) to something that takes up the correct amount of screen real estate. I have then made a Windows shortcut to the ADOM executable. In the shortcut settings, there is the option "Run:", which I set to Maximized. This works for me under Windows 7.

End result: http://i.imgur.com/Ar5edc4.png

This isn't obvious, and it's way more painful than it should be, but you can just change the font size:

Open this file in a text editor:
    C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Local\ADOM\adom_da t\adom.cfg

Change these lines to read:
    Font_Name = Courier New
    Font_Size = 25

Play around with 25 to be something appropriate for your screen.

This process works for the 1.2 pre5 prerelease version. In other versions I think the file may be located somewhere else, but the idea is the same.

With font size 25, I can get ADOM to occupy about 90&#37; of my 1680x1050 widescreen monitor.

Does it support fonts other than Courier? I prefer Lucida Console, Consolas or DroidSansMono myself.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Does it support fonts other than Courier? I prefer Lucida Console, Consolas or DroidSansMono myself.
    It sure does. I've used Terminus, Anonymous, Envy Code R, Source Code Pro, and Inconsolata.