Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improved Guidebook

That is correct, I forgot about centipedes.

Here's more stuff I found in chapters 1 and 2

"1.2.1.1 Kranach, the raider lord"
    It might be worth mentioning that 'g'iving Kranach's corpse to the sheriff seems to be the only way for this quest to end up in the final log's achievement list. Since said corpse only has a 10% chance of dropping, managing that is thus a matter of luck.

"1.2.3 Guth'Alak, the druid"
    If the PC completes the Keethrax quest but only gets back to Guth'Alak after reaching level 30, the rewards will be lost forever. Ordinarily, this will never happen.

"as long as you avoid being hit by the black unicorns in some manner, you will not be corrupted while gathering corpses"

Black unicorns do not have a corrupting attack.

"1.3.1 Yergius, the master thief"
    "A successful application of the skill will result in a stolen item being added to the PC's inventory, or the message "The -foo- does not seem to own anything valuable.""

The message is actually "the -foo- does not seem to own anything of value".

"1.4.4 High Mountain Village - introduction"
    "It is possible to lure the Stone Giant Lord, and monsters in general, to the right side of the map, leave and reenter from the left."

If you can swim or create an ice bridge, you can also evade monsters by entering through a small opening in the north part of the moat, where water flows inside the village.

"1.6.1 Jharod, the healer"
    If you already have the Healing skill and 'C'hat with Jharod after showing mercy, he'll give you a very rare stethoscope. If you already have Healing at 100, showing mercy and 'C'hatting to Jharod will yield a potion of ultra healing. There is no limit to how many potions can be obtained in this manner, potentially allowing the player to inflate maximum HP to very high values.

"1.7.1 Keethrax, the black druid"
    "He is vulnerable to acid, webs and magic missiles"

Keethrax is immune to webs. He can however be stunned via the Stun Ray spell or the wand, paralyzed with a wand of paralyzation, and blinded with a cursed potion of invisibility.

The text also doesn't mention that his stats are variable, and directly proportional to your level when first entering DD:7.

"1.8 Puppy Cave"
    "giant ants, always found on the second level. These are very difficult to kill for a low level PC and ideally should be avoided completely."

They can be easily killed if you bolt them with spells or wands. Their corpses will make the PC vomit and lose some satiation, but grant acid resistance, an otherwise rare intrinsic.

"2.1.1 Stone Giant Lord"

He doesn't see in darkness nor through invisibility, which may be used by the player to evade him.

"2.1.2 Hawkslayer, the burly adventurer"

"He will not equip these items after he is the PC's companion. The items must simply be dropped next to him before giving him the secret password. This behavior will probably change in future versions of ADOM."

This is intentional behavior due to how monster inventories work, confirmed by TB in the old bug tracker.

"2.1.7 Oracle"
    "The most common use for the Oracle is to kill her for her corpse, which (...) may also increase Mana (+4)."

The only Mana increase available from eating the oracle is the low possibility of +1 Ma common to all spellcaster corpses.

"2.2 Infinite Dungeon"
    "The level number is limited by some 32 or 64 bit integer value, but who really cares about that?"

I cared enough to check It's a signed 32-bit integer, thus making the 2147483647th level the "bottom" of the ID. Also, if you descend below I9999, the level counter in the status bar will read "I?", but that can only be done with hacking tools.

"2.2.1 Filk, the quickling bard"
    "If the PC tries to wish for "Filk", lots of hostile quickling lords will be summoned instead."

The wish must be for a "quickling bard", not Filk.

"2.3.1 Bug Temple rewards"
    "holy 2HS of devastation" should be "lawful two-handed sword of devastation".

"Breaking the center statue and the statue ten squares west + one north stops the breeding of the bugs and results in an appropriate line in the accomplishment list at the end of the game."

The statues are made of stone, and thus slightly vulnerable to fire, lightning and cold. Statues destroyed in this manner do not drop item rewards and are not counted as destroyed for stopping bug generation, so the player should be careful if using bolts or ball spells of those three elements.

"2.4.2 Kherab's quests and their rewards"
    The rewards are inverted. Killing Guth'Alak gives you the shield of raw steel and killing Thrundarr gives you the amulet, not the other way around.

"2.5.1 Ancient Chaos Wyrm"
    "The ACW is vulnerable to cold attacks (as are most of the monsters in the temple)"

The ACW has no particular vulnerability to cold or any other element.

"2.7.2 Underground level"
    "The underground level of the dwarven graveyard contains a labyrinth which features many traps. It is very wise to have the Detect Traps skill while navigating this maze."

Or you can teleport directly on top of Griff's grave and back if you know the level's (static) layout.

"2.11.3.1 Assassin Prince"

If you'd rather not fight, zapping a wand of poison at the assassin prince will poison and eventually kill him without turning him hostile. This is probably a bug.

"2.12 Tomb of the High Kings"
    "The PC must have a climbing set to reach it (and to leave that section of the map)."

Dropping your climbing set(s) in the staircase immediately before descending past the first level is a good idea, to prevent them from getting destroyed by traps/breath attacks and thus leave you trapped here until you find another one.

"2.15.1 Ratling dealer"

The dealer will ask for all your money in exchange for the climbing set if you have more than 50000gp, and that amount otherwise. You can drop your excess gold before 'C'hatting with him and he won't notice.

"2.17 Stone Circle"
    "The doorway into the circle is guarded by two annihilators, who can annoyingly destroy the PC's equipment. Ideally the PC should be invisible and destroy them from a distance. The alternative should be to hit them as hard as possible with the best melee attack available."

Or you can use darkness.

Typos
    "Combat staggering by applying First Aid or clening Ears." (cleaning)
    "It may be usefull to learn spells, equip starting items etc." (useful)
    "...and the PC will be cursed if it's not chaoticly aligned." (chaotically)
    "And light there be!"

Fixed, except:

Ratling dealer - my testing does not agree. He always asks for 50,000 gp and if the PC doesn't have that amount, he'll reply "Ya need to earn ssome more money."

Kherab's quests and their rewards - I was very surprised that the shield is indeed the first reward and amulet the second. It should definitely be the
    other way around since the shield is lot more valuable than the amulet. I vaguely remember completing these quests once and I'm pretty sure amulet
    was the first reward. However that was probably before 1.1.1.

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    Ratling dealer - my testing does not agree. He always asks for 50,000 gp and if the PC doesn't have that amount, he'll reply "Ya need to earn ssome more money."
    I just re-checked it in 1.1.1 and he always asked for all my money if I had more than $50000.

That is, I would think, what his monster memory description refers to.
    "And light there be!"

Ok, I thought you could buy it for 1 gp if that is all you have.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    "2.7.2 Underground level"
    "The underground level of the dwarven graveyard contains a labyrinth which features many traps. It is very wise to have the Detect Traps skill while navigating this maze."

Or you can teleport directly on top of Griff's grave and back if you know the level's (static) layout.
    Or even easier, drop any valuable equipment that can be destroyed, do a scouting run to find the traps on the way to Griff, return to get your equipment back (if you even need it) and kill him.

The guidebook greatly overstates the importance of the detect traps skill. Pyramid and griffyard are easily handled by teleportation or scouting and by the time you reach the mana temple, you will most likely have enough charges of wands of trap detection to pass the corridors. The detect traps skill is never needed and joining the thief guild isn't worth it (unless you really want to enter the rift, perhaps).
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 03-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    The guidebook greatly overstates the importance of the detect traps skill. Pyramid and griffyard are easily handled by teleportation or scouting and by the time you reach the mana temple, you will most likely have enough charges of wands of trap detection to pass the corridors. The detect traps skill is never needed and joining the thief guild isn't worth it (unless you really want to enter the rift, perhaps).
    Likewise, the need for Yergius' training to get to 100 Climbing is always overstated (seriously, just climb in the mountains on the way to TOTHK and pump the skill; unless you're on a class like Necromancer or Paladin, you won't have much trouble).
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Or even easier, drop any valuable equipment that can be destroyed, do a scouting run to find the traps on the way to Griff, return to get your equipment back (if you even need it) and kill him.
    I always do it this way:
    1. teleport straight on top of Griff's tomb
    2. 'U'se a potion of holy water to destroy him
    3. teleport back to the small corridor that links the tomb with the dungeon
    4. pickpocket the hordes of undead Nonnak summons, then destroy them, then kill Nonnak himself
    5. dig Griff's grave for the sword
    6. destroy the bone golem and get the elemental gauntlets
    7. teleport back to the '<'
    "And light there be!"

Personally, I don't think strategies like these fit into a guide well. Maybe players want to explore, to get loot and xp. Of course you can do without detect traps, climbing and healing, but that's not the point. And controlled teleporation is not something most players would have by the portal quest, except maybe when playing wizard.

Or mindcrafter. . But actually a lot of players who are reading the guidebook have spoiled themselves silly and will at least try to have teleport control by then.

I think the "running through traps screaming like a chicken with its head cut off" strategy is a perfectly fine thing to include in the guidebook. It's a mainstay of many player's games and is a good tactic of which to know. (of course, one must emphasize the risks, but they aren't that bad unless you're playing something like a grey elf thief)
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.