Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm an interested player -- which version do I get?

Default I'm an interested player -- which version do I get?

I was reading about some roguelikes this afternoon and I stumbled onto ADOM -- and I'm pretty interested in it. Unfortunately... I don't know which version is the latest! My initial thought was to get ADOM II, but I'm seeing a lot of more recent postings in ADOM and I found out about the ressurection project.

My question is... which one is the latest version of ADOM? I'd very much like to try it, but I'm confused and can't find any info.

Thanks! Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Latest publicly available version is ADOM 1.2.0 prerelease 5 which is available here: http://www.ancardia.com/download.html

You might also want to join #adom on freenode and/or try the ADOM servers: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-accessible%29

Aha! I'd suspected that it was that was, but I needed confirmation. Thanks again.

There's a bug in 1.2.0pr5 which gives everyone a large penalty when trying to read spellbooks. If you plan on using magic, you might wish to stick to 1.1.1 for the time being, as otherwise you will struggle to learn spells. Otherwise, definitely grab prerelease 5. A ton of bugs are fixed there, and a particular game mechanic has been greatly expanded.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    There's a bug in 1.2.0pr5 which gives everyone a large penalty when trying to read spellbooks. If you plan on using magic, you might wish to stick to 1.1.1 for the time being, as otherwise you will struggle to learn spells. Otherwise, definitely grab prerelease 5. A ton of bugs are fixed there, and a particular game mechanic has been greatly expanded.
    Quote Originally Posted by jt
    I see, the bug was related to all classes except: priest, druid, wizard and necromancer.
    So, if you really want to use magic and play the latest public version, then play one of these 4 classes. Or Elementalist for some nice combat magic you don't even need to learn from a stupid book.

Learning spells is still do-able with the other classes, just not as easy as it used to be or will be.

Welcome to a wonderful world of ADOM.
    Learn to learn.

I assure you the bug is noticeable with wizards as well. Even with Cup starsign and high Learning I would get ~30 castings per read of simple spellbooks way more often than I would like.
    "And light there be!"

I think this behavior is mostly influenced by character level.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Some called it a bug, I called it a levelling of the battlefield.

Play old buggy 1.1.1 or

Play much less buggy 1.2.0 pre 5, which won't get you into the bad habit of relying on spells.
    Learn to learn.

Imo, version 1.1.1 is stable enough that you can play countless games without noticing a single bug. Claw bugs aside. It doesn't really matter which version you try. Just be aware that ADOM II is a yet incomplete beta version.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

1.1.1 is good in that all bugs are known and mostly not dangerous.
    I'm going to win with Dark Elves of all classes.
    Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Beastfighter, ULE Archer, UNE Barbarian done.