Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questionairre for my business class on Roguelikes

Default Questionairre for my business class on Roguelikes

I'm not sure how else to contact Mr. Biskup, so I'll stick this here. If I'm lucky someone else who also has written a Roguelike can contribute, too.

Hello, Mr. Thomas Biskup; my name is Andrew Meronek and I am a student at Macomb Community College, located outside of Detroit, Michigan. I am writing a paper on the economics of Roguelike computer games for a business class, and I would love if you can answer the below questions. I can only offer that if you do, once I complete the paper, I can share it with you. I will be distributing this questionairre to many different Roguelike developers, to get as well-rounded a picture as possible given my limited resources and the limited scope of this assignment. The answers to some of these questions may already be published online, but I think that it's still a good idea to include them so that you can understand what I'm focusing on.

I have been a fan of Roguelikes for a long time, and I plan on someday making my own small contribution to the genre. The business class is part of a de-rusting of my computer-industry skills. I recently finished a stint with the U.S. Army as a musician, and I currently work as a professional trombonist and composer in the greater Detroit area. If I find your feedback particularly interesting, I may have some follow-up questions after you answer these:

What can you tell me about yourself? Do you develop software professionally or do you have another profession?

How long have you been working on ADOM?

During the busiest time, can you approximate how many hours per week you spent on ADOM?

What can you tell me about other people who have contributed to ADOM?

Why did you choose the production environment? What advantages and disadvantages have you noted?

What can you tell me about how ADOM raises funds? Was it successful?

What can you tell me about significant changes to ADOM's software and economic development?

What can you tell me about any serious legal or security problems with ADOM that you've had to deal with?

What can you tell me about ADOM's inspirations?

And a note specifically for you, because you have created ADOM and are creating ADOM II, I would be extremely pleased if you answer this questionairre twice in reference to both games, but this is of course optional.

I'm not sure of how often Mr. Biskup visits the forum, but you can try sending him a private message here, or an e-mail to creator AT ancientdomainsofmystery DOT com.

PS: when I first read "economics of roguelike computer games", I thought you were referring to the in-game economies. Many jokes could be made at the expense of the gold piece's status as an effective global currency with zero inflation, despite constant injections to the money supply
    "And light there be!"

I can PM him here? I'll see if I can figure that out.

The class is really more for a basic business study, not more technical economics.

biskup has already done interviews in which many of your questions were answered.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Indeed, you should check out Roguelikle Radio interviews with Thomas Biskup. But in general monetisation and roguelikes is an odd thing, and not something you can make any formal statements about.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Indeed. I will be using some of those interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I'm not sure of how often Mr. Biskup visits the forum, but you can try sending him a private message here, or an e-mail to creator AT ancientdomainsofmystery DOT com.

PS: when I first read "economics of roguelike computer games", I thought you were referring to the in-game economies. Many jokes could be made at the expense of the gold piece's status as an effective global currency with zero inflation, despite constant injections to the money supply
    Hello,

Is this a valid email - creator AT ancientdomainsofmystery DOT com? I've tried to contact Mr. Biskup, but haven't received a reply yet.
    Edit: just found the official reference https://www.biskup.net/blog/ from the Resurrect ADOM development project I'm gonna visit website and check the contact information. I study at Loyola University (College of Business) and ATOM example would be perfect for my project.
    Sorry for bumping.
    Last edited by TerryMulhern; 11-15-2019 at 10:20 AM.

great ideas

Hi! My name is Jacob