Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Statue sightings

From what I've seen, the mechanics for praying on a statue is that when you pray, you'll be prompted to kick the statue. If you pick yes, you kick it instead of praying; else, you pray. Both don't occur, as far as I've seen
    I agree that praying shouldn't prompt the player to kick the statue, since I thought praying and kicking would be different actions.

I found a statue that does have a continuous effect. It was the statue with the half man half hippopotamus, with the palindromic inscription, that I think was mentioned earlier.
    Won with: Orcish Archer (1.1.1), Drakish Healer (1.2.0 pr11), Dark elven Necromancer (1.2.0 pr13), unarmed Ratling Monk (r57), Gnomish Beastfighter (r75)

Neat statue:

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    As I see it, there are multiple strange things happening:
    1. Actual prayer to your deity - why is it there? Aren't you supposed to pray to the statue itself? Currently both effects kick in. As a player who almost never prays except for precrowns, I find this behavior more like a bug and useless prayer counter increase in the end log.
    2. Why are you prompted to kick the statue? There are supposed to be two different interactions (prayer and kicking), now they seem to be merged into one?
    1. seems to be a bug, I need to ask Thomas
    2. is a bug
    3. kicking of statues doesn't work at the moment
    Last edited by jt; 05-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Found another cool one

You stumble upon a statue. It resembles a wiry, spotted feral cat, made from sandstone and black granite. Its emerald eyes seem to stare at you!

Another one; got the following when walking over

Your eyes blacken momentarily as the statues darkness infuses you. You feel changed. You stumble upon a statue. The mottled black and red eudialyte stone has been polished and sculpted into the shape of a giant humanoid heart. An inscription at the bottom reads: "I want to hear your screams!"

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    Another one; got the following when walking over

Your eyes blacken momentarily as the statues darkness infuses you. You feel changed. You stumble upon a statue. The mottled black and red eudialyte stone has been polished and sculpted into the shape of a giant humanoid heart. An inscription at the bottom reads: "I want to hear your screams!"

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit on the mechanics on prayers to statue?

From what I've experienced, when you press '_' while standing on the statue's tile, you will be get the actual prayer and will be prompted "would you like to kick the statue (y/n)?" - quoting Booster's messages from this thread (I also got similar results when playing p21, although I haven't seen many statues):

As I see it, there are multiple strange things happening:
    1. Actual prayer to your deity - why is it there? Aren't you supposed to pray to the statue itself? Currently both effects kick in. As a player who almost never prays except for precrowns, I find this behavior more like a bug and useless prayer counter increase in the end log.
    2. Why are you prompted to kick the statue? There are supposed to be two different interactions (prayer and kicking), now they seem to be merged into one?
    Regarding #2: The kick thing was a bug and has been fixed for p23.

Regarding #1: Actually donors were allowed to select from two possible means of activating statues by praying: Option 1 was to pray to the statue (and not get any divine response), option 2 was to get both effects. That's the reason why some statues are directly prayed you and others get activated when you pray to the gods.
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    Regarding #2: The kick thing was a bug and has been fixed for p23.

Regarding #1: Actually donors were allowed to select from two possible means of activating statues by praying: Option 1 was to pray to the statue (and not get any divine response), option 2 was to get both effects. That's the reason why some statues are directly prayed you and others get activated when you pray to the gods.
    Thanks for the explanation! I actually have my own statue but for the love of everything can't remeber what options were in the self-service (I chose kicking anyway ). I still don't actually like both effects from praying but oh well.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Lots of statues this game

You stumble upon a statue. An exquisitely detailed marble sculpture. It is a perfect likeness of you! An inscription at the bottom reads: "No adventurer will ever match this peerless original.".