Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop Question

Default Shop Question

If I rob a shop, but trap the shop owner outside will it re-stock?
    Alternativly...
    If he's inside his shop, but I stole from him will it restock?

Shop will restock after theft only if the shopkeeper does not notice your theft. If he starts attacking you, thats generally a sign that you have pissed him off, and that he no longer wants to conjure items for you to steal.

Of course if you manage to make a hole in the corner of the walls of his shop, strange herbal vapours will be released from the insulation cavity or something, as he will become so utterly chilled out that you kick rob the place repeatedly right in front of him, only to welcome you heartedly as you proceed to sell him back the stuff you just nicked from him.

i had no idea that was possible. thought they were indestrucable.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sradac View Post
    i had no idea that was possible. thought they were indestrucable.
    Sometimes they are, but it is worth trying in the HMV and Laweniothel shops. You might be able to steal everything and get lots of money too.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    Sometimes they are, but it is worth trying in the HMV and Laweniothel shops. You might be able to steal everything and get lots of money too.
    Actually, that makes you a bad kind of exploiter, on par with those who dragon gold double, basically. Or worse, exploit with piety overflow. Such victories aren't legit as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Actually, that makes you a bad kind of exploiter, on par with those who dragon gold double, basically. Or worse, exploit with piety overflow. Such victories aren't legit as far as I'm concerned.
    Yes, because robbing a shop like that makes your char much better.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    Yes, because robbing a shop like that makes your char much better.
    +3 PV/DV enchanted items, armor of life, 7LB, good spellbooks, weapons of penetration... I have already found all of these, IIRC, in the black market, and I don't think you can deny that some of that stuff makes the early game a breeze, or even the mid-game. That which doesn't is still too great an asset to make this one justifiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    +3 PV/DV enchanted items, armor of life, 7LB, good spellbooks, weapons of penetration... I have already found all of these, IIRC, in the black market, and I don't think you can deny that some of that stuff makes the early game a breeze, or even the mid-game. That which doesn't is still too great an asset to make this one justifiable.
    To rob the shop you need a way of digging, which is not that easily attainable in the early game. You can get potions of invisibility easily enough right from the start, and rob the shop with one of those. I suppose, then, that using potions of invisibility to rob a shop is like piety overflowing, and victories after that aren't legit.

I do it (way too much), and Maul is right. The effects are way overpowered. Wand of digging is DL 1, and in addition to heaps of common useful items like water, you can get loads of spellbooks, slaying ammo, the occasional really good item, and lest we forget-- money.

Sincerely,
    Mike the exploiter :/

I have to agree with Maul here, I put kick robbing on par with piety overflow or gremlin bombing, and far worse than dragon doubling as far as exploits go. Kick robbing effectively gives you unlimited money and unlimited items. Granted, you won't get any eternium gear or anything very high level from kick robbing bandit town, but you can get basically everything else you would ever need, including the possibility of several artifacts (I've seen, for example, Skullcrusher, spawn in bandit town). Dragon doubling isn't available till much later in the game when gold is far less useful, and kick robbing provides you with enough gold that you can effectively duplicate the effects of piety scumming (or dragon doubling), in addition to the items involved, and has none of the inherent risks of either exploit.

Potions of invisibility are one time use, so they aren't nearly so bad, and there's a good chance that the shopkeeper will catch on to you before you can use a second. I almost never rob stores regardless, unless I kill the shopkeeper in the process.

That said, you are free to play the game however you want. There is no reason for you to give a damn about what I think.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.