Thread: First Ultra: Dwarf Monk (p13)

Default First Ultra: Dwarf Monk (p13)

Born in the month of the raven. Started out taking the raider, druid, and puppy quests. Took a detour to hole in the wall where a beggar became annoyed when I "accidentally" hit him with a thrown quarterstaff. Headed to small cave and retrieved the blanket; thankfully the down stairs were only one room away from the entrance. Next went and saved the puppy; a river on PC4 made me reluctant to hunt down the raider lord. Clearing the druid dungeon down to DD6 left me at level 10. I killed Yergius, and sold the pile of junk was carrying around.

Next, I went through the unremarkable dungeon. There were a couple of vaults, pools, and forges, but nothing terribly interesting. Selling my junk at HMV revealed that I had an orcish spear of devastation; after that I barely used unarmed combat for the rest of the game. As an aside: I fought unburdened, with no shield, and no heavy armor pretty much the whole game. Probably not the best decision in the early game, but the PV talents kept me safe. As a further tangent: 60s armor counts as heavy for some reason, so no robes or AMW for me.

From the HMV, I headed to the CoC. The big room had a lot of stable herb patches, and convenient stairs. Picked up the si on my way down. Found a lawful altar on D9, which I used to attain a relatively painless live-sac precrown. This netted me the immensely useful Serpent's Bite. Dwarftown was on D10. Thrundarr's first quest was for a berserker lord, which was found promptly for a change. I ended up finishing all of his quests without too much difficulty. Of course, Thrundarr gave me the shield since I'm playing a monk. I handed over the golden gladius for tactics. For style points I killed the greater daemon with Serpent's Bite instead of sacrificing it. At this point I was past level 13, so I kicked out the corner of the big room and pacified it. A bit of tedious herb farming and a blessed scroll of uncursing netted me the massive amounts of moss needed to overcome my pathetic dwarven dexterity.

I cleared the pyramid with ease, and retrieved the ankh, AMW, climbing set, and pickax. Next I paid a visit to the underwater cave. Incidentally, greater water elementals are terrifying because they are incredibly hard to spot here. Luckily, footspeed and a potion of ultra-healing were sufficient to reach Blup's mom and escape alive. Another aside: having autopickup on will trigger the "Don't you dare take that" message every time you walk over any item, very annoying. Tied up the loose ends in Terinyo: alerted Blup, killed Keethrax for PoCC, and killed Hotzenplotz for amulet of order. The dwarven graveyard was also not too bad, as I had pretty formidable DV/PV at this point. For more style points I killed Griff in melee instead of using holy water. Retrieved the Nonnak's sword and the elemental gauntlets.

At this point I had a cloak of invisibility, so I decided to dig up the great treasure graves. Managed to kill a couple lich kings and several master lichs without any stat drains, and ended up with a tidy stash of items. Next came darkforge, which was quite doable thanks to Serpent's bite. I received the RCT while clearing, and dinged level 18. Swung by the gremlin cave for the phial, and headed to the tomb of high kings. I explored the cavernous levels, but sadly didn't find any wishes. Used Guth's wand of cold to cross the piranha lake, and made short work of the skeletal king with the RCT.

I explored down to D16, and didn't find any wishes or amulets of life-saving. Since I didn't have teleport control, I was considering giving up on Khelly. However, I went to darkforge and poolsipped. My stupidity was rewarded with stun resistance, sleep resistance, and a wish! Another aside: you are told that "one shall be sufficient" even if you only wish for one AoLS. Saved Khelly, and was almost immediately confronted with a threat room of acid vortices on D17. Speed, missile weapons, and black dragon hide gauntlets kept me alive long enough to realize that I had a wand of door creation and some keys.

Continuing the descent, RCT made the CoC graveyard quite easy as well. Digging graves here yielded seven league boots, wands of monster creation, and a scroll of danger, amazing. Cleared the water temple, used a potion of cure poison to disable the snake. I converted to C on the temple's altar, and headed back up to dwarftown. I fed the ratling: AMW, Rolf's Savior, Big Punch, the Crown of Science, the Black Torc, and Moonsickle. Went back to HMV and did Gaab'Baay's quests. A ring of doom and SLB got me the boar skull without wasting too much time, a farmer in HMV dropped a corpse, and the other items I already had. Back to CoC. Forgetting the mystic, I converted back to L. Remembering the mystic, I converted to N, put on my helm of teleportation and ring of TP control, and was rewarded with scrolls of corruption removal.

Converted back to L again, put on my amulet of order, and headed to the tower. There was a surge of power on the top level: Wyrmlance, guarded by a greater daemon. Another very nice weapon. Didn't bother using any disablers on the wyrm; Wyrmlance, combined with alertness, high dexterity, and great DV ensured I didn't take much damage. I reached L+ shortly after returning to the CoC, and used the pile of gold I was lugging around to get crowned with Shirt of the Saints. Yet another aside: the "absolutely close" status wasn't showing up, I got crowned at "very close".

Time for the dive. Got ring of the master cat. A vault of black dragons yielded the Cloak of Oman. A greater vault of undead yielded some stat drains, and the realization that even preserver and BoW would not be worth this nonsense. Did the earth temple before the air temple to get the switch positions power. Both were quite easy. At the air temple I switched position to get to Yulgash, and immediately switched all the way out to avoid equipment destruction. Mana temple was a bit more interesting: the only item I had that gave death ray resistance was the Sword of Nonnak. Switched to the archmage and whittled him down with slaying arrows. Then I threw the crystal phial at him, equipped the RCT, crossed my fingers, and finished him off. In retrospect, it would probably have been more prudent to use the RCT as a missile weapon and switch to Serpent's Bite once it didn't return.

Took the ancient karmic wyrm's quest, and succeeded without too much difficulty. Wyrmlance was extremely helpful in the blue dragon caves, obviously. Unfortunately I was only level 38 at this point, so a lot of grinding was required to get the Filk quest. Went to the stone circle and took out Keriax. This wasn't too bad, thanks again Wyrmlance. Cleared the bug temple, trained up climbing, visited the library, got the weird tome, still only level 42. The next three levels were gained in the blue dragon caves with the help of lots of ancient blue dragons, and a couple greater molochs.

With the grind out of the way, the game wrapped up quickly. Headed to the assassin's guild for the quest. After getting it I decided to kill the prince, which proved more difficult than expected. I had to switch out a couple times to regenerate, but eventually Serpent's bite proved to be more potent than a lone Sting. Killed Filk with a single fireball from a wand. Headed to the mad minstrel to find the scintillating cave, and to give him the weird tome. Gained my last few levels off of two greater molochs, one greater titan, and the emperor moloch. My fifth attack with the RCT ruptured the emperor's organs, killing him instantly. Brought the medal and crown of chaos to D48, headed to Terinyo to collect the Trident of the Red Rooster, and the unicorn quest. Killed the black unicorn, and got my corruptions removed. Then I proceeded to write another four scrolls of corruption remove. Yet another aside: if you try to write a "chaos resistance" type scroll you get a scroll of balance instead.

Final dive! Potion of uselessness on D49 yielded the useless staff of the archmagi. Used wand of monster detection and wand of teleportation on D50 to get close to the gate. Switched to Fisty and attacked him, switched out, and then switched onto the gate once he moved. The sequence after you enter the gate was awesome, and came as a complete surprise to me. Once on the chaos plane I dropped the crown and medal, drank all my stat boosting potions, lobbed a PoCC at Andor, and whaled away with the ToTRR. Victory!

Truncated flg:

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

// The screenshot turned out as all "x"s - probably a NotEye issue

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Background Information

Name: Grond               Race: male Dwarf          Class: Monk
    Eye color: brown          Hair color: brown         Complexion: ruddy
    Height: 3'11"             Weight: 191 pounds
    Star sign: Raven          Birthday: 20/Raven (day 20 of the year)

Inventory
    Total weight: 1854 stones                Carrying capacity: 15875 stones

He: blessed eternium cap [+0, +6]                                     [28s]
    Ne: uncursed amulet of light                                           [3s]
    Bo: blessed Shirt of the Saints [+8, +4] {Le+2}                       [20s]  // crowning gift
    Gi: blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +4]                               [15s]
    Cl: blessed cloak of Oman (+2, +0) [+4, +4] {Dx+8}                    [20s]  // found in a black dragon vault in CoC
    RH: blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12] {Ma+24}
    LH: -
    RR: blessed ring of the master cat [+0, +5] {Dx+16} (+16 spd)          [1s]
    LR: blessed ring of slaying (+9 melee damage, +6 missile damage)       [1s]
    Br: blessed bracers of defense [+5, +0]                               [10s]
    Ga: blessed thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +4]                         [15s]
    Bo: blessed seven league boots (-1, +1) [+1, +5]                      [30s]
    MW: -
    Mi: -
    Tl: -

Stuff

Total weight: 1561 stones   Carrying capacity: 15875 stones

Gauntlets ('[')
       heap of 2 uncursed pairs of thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +1]      [30s]
       uncursed elemental gauntlets (-1, +0) [+0, +3]                     [10s]
    Necklaces (''')
       blessed ankh                                                        [3s]
       uncursed necklace of the eye                                        [3s]
       heap of 2 uncursed amulets of petrification resistance              [6s]
    Bracers (',')
       heap of 4 uncursed pairs of bracers of regeneration [+0, +0]       [72s]
       uncursed bracers of toughness [+0, +0] {To+4}                      [10s]
    One-handed weapons ('(')
       blessed emerald dagger "Serpent's Bite" (+3, 3d4+3) [+3, +1]       [13s]  // precrowning gift
       uncursed sword of Nonnak (+2, 4d3+2) [+2, +2] {Wi+5}               [80s]
       uncursed black rune-covered dagger "Needle" (+8, 3d4) [+4, +1]     [10s]
       uncursed black rune-covered dagger "Sting" (+8, 3d4) [+4, +1]      [10s]
    Two-handed weapons ('(')
       blessed rune-covered trident (+6, 3d12+6) [+4, +4] {Dx+12}         [80s]
       uncursed rune-covered halberd "Wyrmlance" (+15, 4d8+10) [-2, +0]   [50s]  // surge of power at the top of ToEF
       cursed staff of the archmagi (+5, 5d2+2) [+9, +0] {Ma+10}          [40s]  // uselessness gift
    Rings ('=')
       blessed ring of the High Kings [+2, +3]                             [1s]
    Wands ('\')
       uncursed wand of teleportation (4 charges)                          [4s]
       uncursed wand of teleportation (7 charges)                          [4s]
       blessed wand of digging (2 charges)                                 [3s]
       blessed wand of paralyzation (9 charges)                            [3s]
       uncursed wand of monster detection (8 charges)                      [3s]
    Potions ('!')
       heap of 4 blessed potions of extra healing                          [8s]
       uncursed phial of Caladriel                                         [2s]
       heap of 12 blessed potions of ultra healing                        [24s]
       heap of 16 potions of holy water                                   [64s]
    Scrolls ('?')
       heap of 2 uncursed scrolls of familiar summoning                    [4s]
       blessed scroll of uncursing                                         [2s]
       heap of 4 blessed scrolls of identify                               [8s]
       heap of 11 blessed scrolls of corruption removal                   [22s]  // got scrolls from mystic, librarian, HMV, bug temple, and wrote around 5
    Books ('"')
       uncursed spellbook of Wish                                        [100s]  // found in the library
    Food ('%')
       heap of 11 uncursed alraunia antidotes                             [22s]
       heap of 12 uncursed curaria mancox herbs                           [24s]
       heap of 36 uncursed cooked lizards                                [108s]
       heap of 64 uncursed spenseweeds                                   [128s]
       heap of 2 uncursed stomafillia herbs                                [4s]
       heap of 2 uncursed lumps of gelee royal                             [6s]
    Gems ('*')
       heap of 12 uncursed crystals of health                             [12s]

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         8    +6    +3   +3   excellent            683
    Daggers & knives        11   +12    +7   +3   Mastery              2192
    Pole arms               14   +18   +11  +20   Mastery              10088

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Bows                     7   +14   +10   +2   skilled              202

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  0    +0              unskilled            15

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: +247 bonus to hit, 6d12+101 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    No missile weapons available.

Skills

Alertness ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Athletics ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Backstabbing .............100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Climbing .................100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Concentration ............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Detect traps .............100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Dodge ....................100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Find weakness ............100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      First aid ................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Haggling ................. 77    (great)        [+1d3]
      Healing ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Listening ................100    (superb)       [+3d3]
      Literacy .................100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Metallurgy ............... 72    (great)        [+1d3]
      Mining ................... 76    (great)        [+1]
      Smithing ................. 68    (good)         [+1d3]
      Stealth ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Swimming ................. 97    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Tactics ..................100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Two weapon combat ........100    (superb)       [+1d5]

Spells

Light            :   159,   3pp     (Effectivity: +2)
       Slow Monster     :   189,   6pp     (Effectivity: +5) // used a fair bit towards the end to scum XP

His further life:

After slaying Andor Drakon and dispersing his malevolent energies the
    pillars of Order appear before you. All the forces of Order seem to be
    united behind them. You are lifted to the status of an Avatar of Order and
    the tales of your deeds are spread all over Ancardia.

Your deeds are recounted at camp fires and interpreted by philosophers and
    priests alike. The common man looks up to you and you slowly start to be
    revered as a minor power of Order. After a few millennia have passed you are
    raised to the position of a demi-god to guard and protect Ancardia from the
    forces of Chaos and Balance forever.

Under your guidance Ancardia becomes an orderly and organized world without
    striking changes. Peaceful order (and boredom?) spreads and the world enters
    an era of peace and tranquility never again leaving it.

His achievements during his adventures:

Grond, the dwarven monk, transformed into an avatar of Order.
    He scored 10601141 points and advanced to level 50.
    He survived for 0 years, 77 days, 11 hours, 6 minutes and 8 seconds (134040
    turns).
    Grond visited 141 places.
    His strength score was modified by +4 during his career.
    His learning score was modified by +7 during his career.
    His willpower score was modified by +15 during his career.
    His dexterity score was modified by +19 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +15 during his career.
    His charisma score was modified by +9 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by +4 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +6 during his career.
    His perception score was modified by +5 during his career.
    He was unnaturally aged by 2 years.
    He was the champion of the arena.
    He was the head of the thieves guild.
    He made a little water dragon very happy.
    He brought back joy into the life of a tiny girl.
    He defeated the arch enemy of a mighty karmic wyrm.
    He adhered to the principles of the Cat Lord and thus rose to great fame.
    He stopped the generation of nasty bugs.
    He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
    He ended his adventuring life in the palace of Andor Drakon.
    7806 monsters perished under his attacks.
    The following 34 artifacts were generated during his adventure:
      the si
      the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"
      the ring of the master cat
      the golden gladius "Death's Sting"
      the dwarven shield "Rolf's Saviour"
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Water
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Air
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Earth
      the staff of the Wanderer  // didn't find it, was probably in a greater undead vault
      the lead-filled mace "Big Punch"
      the gauntlets of eternal peace "Shezestriakis" // probably in GUV
      the cloak of Oman
      the rune-covered trident
      the sword of Nonnak
      the elemental gauntlets
      the ring of the High Kings
      the phial of Caladriel
      the crown of science
      the ancient mummy wrapping
      the ankh
      the Crown of Chaos
      the black torc
      the Medal of Chaos
      the Shirt of the Saints
      the Chaos Orb of Elemental Mana
      the black rune-covered dagger "Needle"
      the black rune-covered dagger "Sting"
      the fine leather armor "Nature's Companion" // also probably in the GUV
      the staff of the archmagi
      the emerald dagger "Serpent's Bite"
      the Trident of the Red Rooster
      the weird tome
      the rune-covered halberd "Wyrmlance"
    He possessed the following intrinsics:
      He was fire resistant.
      He was poison resistant.
      He was acid resistant.
      He was lucky.
      Fate smiled upon him (also through an item).
      He was sleep resistant (also through an item).
      He was able to teleport (also through an item).
      He was able to control teleportation.
      He was stun resistant.
      He was paralyzation resistant.
      He was resistant to death rays (gained through an item).
      He was shock resistant.
      He was able to see invisible things (gained through items).
      He was immune to shock attacks (gained through an item).
      He was immune to fire attacks (gained through an item).
      He was immune to acidic attacks.
      He was immune to ice attacks (gained through an item).
      He was able to breathe water (gained through an item).
      He was able to resist confusion attacks (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Aggressive, Basher, Careful, Defensive
    Fighter, Dodger, Greased Lightning, Hardy, Immune to Pain, Iron Skin, Mighty
    Strike, Mithril Skin, Natural Berserker, Powerful Strike, Quick, Steel Skin,
    Tough Skin, Very Quick.
    He had a final speed score of 294 (final base speed: 168).
    He was a paragon of his religion.
    He asked for 1 divine intervention.
    He was a holy champion of Order.

The following monsters were vanquished:
         11 acid vortices  // was a threat room of these on D17
        206 ancient blue dragons  // spent quite some time in blue dragon caves grinding experience
          1 ancient blue wyrm
          1 Ancient Chaos Wyrm
          1 ancient karmic wyrm  // ended up killing Sharad for the experience
          1 Ancient Stone Beast
          1 assassin prince // was surprisingly difficult even with Serpent's Bite
          1 balor  // fought in the arena
          1 banshee
          1 battle bunny
          2 beggars  // first kill
          1 bunny master
          1 Chaos Archmage
          1 cloaked ratling
          1 crime lord
          3 doppelganger kings
          1 dwarven artificer  // sadly killing him does not give you teleport control in darkforge
          1 ElDeR cHaOs GoD
          1 emperor moloch  // died from organ ruptures in five hits
          1 eternium golem
          3 giant boars
          1 great black wyrm
          6 great blue wyrms
          2 great karmic wyrms  // I found wands of magic missile to be surprisingly powerful
          2 great red wyrms
          1 greater black unicorn
          5 greater molochs  // gained many levels killing these while slowed
          1 greater titan  // gained my last level rupturing his organs
          2 half-orc bouncers
          1 mad doctor  // killing him seemed like the right thing to do
          1 malicious doctor  // ditto
          1 master necromancer
          1 Master Summoner
          4 mimic hiveminds
          1 multi-headed chaos dragon
          1 mummy lord
          1 quickling bard
          4 quickling kings
          3 quickling queens
          1 Snake from Beyond
          1 stone ooze
          1 undead chaos dwarven berserker

Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
    Version 1.2.0
    Windows Prerelease 13
    Build: Apr 1 2013 13:01:23

Congrats, good job!
    1 ULE, 1 UNE, 18 regular endings. Won with every race. Trying to win with every class. Never won with farmer, merchant, mindcrafter and thief.

Nice. I also did a wielding monk the other day, is fun.

I notice your score is very low, wonder why. 'Cause I got like 131 mil on my last ultra.
    I doubt it's because of the harder UCG. 13x? I hope the 'new' scoring system wasn't somehow reverted.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 04-05-2013 at 06:57 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Born in the month of the raven.
    pretty much could serve as a name for Ultra ending guides

Nice, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    As a further tangent: 60s armor counts as heavy for some reason, so no robes or AMW for me.
    Robes should be fine, except ugly robes (bloodstained). Fancy clothes are no good either IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    My fifth attack with the RCT ruptured the emperor's organs, killing him instantly.
    Awesome.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I believe the "very close" was sufficient to crown because you got precrowned earlier.
    I noticed while playing p12 that when I got precrowned, I didn't get to see "absolutely close" again, even if I had enough piety to be crowned or pre-crowned for the 2nd time.
    Not sure if it's a bug or intended behavior.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."